Obviously, the team has done well despite some struggles in the bullpen, but Barnes has become increasingly unreliable late in games.
He’s going to get some days off after his rough outing on Monday as the team placed him on the 10-day disabled list with a back strain.
It’s not clear how much time he’ll miss, but at this point I’d probably guess he’ll be back shortly after rosters expand.
Fister, of course, struggled mightily in his last outing against the Indians , and with the Red Sox bullpen working a ton of late they could use a long man in their bullpen in case Fister cannot make it deep into this game.
He could theoretically stick around as the long man for the rest of the year, he could be sent down for a more conventional reliever after this game or he could take Fister’s spot in the rotation if the latter’s night does not go well on Tuesday.
- Carson Smith's action, sink to fastball 'sharp' on Boston Red Sox rehab ...MassLive.com
- Matt Barnes to DL after blowing lead in 8th inning on MondayBoston Herald
- Matt Barnes Placed On DL After Poor Performance In Red Sox' Loss To IndiansCBS Boston / WBZ
- Red Sox Put Matt Barnes On Disabled ListHartford Courant
- Pitchers are more to blame for Red Sox bullpen woes than John FarrellOver The Monster
- John Farrell Explains Why He Didn't Pitch Addison Reed Against IndiansCBS Boston / WBZ
- Boston Red Sox place Matt Barnes on DL with lower back strain, recall Hector ...MassLive.com
- Carson Smith's Strong Rehab Outing Even Bigger After Red Sox Bullpen MeltdownNESN.com
- Red Sox place Matt Barnes on DLMy Fox Boston