A player with two years left on his deal who had made it clear he intended to test free agency, who had outright demanded out , which is a rarity in today's NBA .
A rookie general manager in charge (Koby Altman) after David Griffin's contract was not renewed and Chauncey Billups turned down the job as head of basketball operations.
Thomas benefited from the small-ball approach the Celtics widely used last year, and with the shooters Boston has, he'll have constant spacing and weapons to find if the team collapses.
He struggles to get around screens on account of his size, but he'll give James some breaks in guarding the top assignment every night, and can play down to four or even five if called upon in certain situations.
Keeping Thomas would be expensive, but if they can get the same kind of deal that Kyle Lowry got this summer, at 3-years, $100 million, that gives them a set short-term future with long-term upside.
- Kyrie Irving traded from Cavaliers to Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, othersWashington Post
- Cavaliers make blockbuster trade: Kyrie Irving goes to CelticsCBS News
- Kyrie Irving traded to Celtics for Isaiah Thomas in blockbuster dealSB Nation
- Cavaliers trade Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Isaiah ThomasChicago Tribune
- Cavaliers trade Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Isaiah Thomas and moreOCRegister
- Cavaliers send Kyrie Irving to Celtics in deal including Isaiah Thomas, Nets ...ESPN
- Cavaliers trade Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, moreChron.com
- Boston bound: Cavs trade Irving to Celtics for Thomas, moreABC News
- Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Draft Pick, MoreBleacher Report