Defending Champion Anthony Wall recorded his seventh straight victory in the Saltire Energy Paul Lawrie Match Play to reach the second round in Germany.
And despite a change of venue to Bad Griesbach Golf Resort for the 64-man knockout event, Wall carried on where he left off with a hard-fought victory over fellow Englishman Sam Walker, a last-minute replacement for the injured Kristoffer Broberg.
Top seed Matthew Southgate beat France's Romain Wattel 3&2 despite breaking his driver 15 minutes before teeing off, the 28-year-old borrowing one from compatriot Chris Paisley, who had earlier beaten Scott Jamieson the 22nd hole.
"Chris is a lot shorter than me so I was really squatting into my eyes every time I hit it, but did enough to win the match," Southgate, who finished sixth in the Open at Royal Birkdale, told Sky Sports.
Chesters saw off Portugal's Ricardo Gouveia 4&2, while Ryder Cup hero Jamie Donaldson - who secured the winning point at Gleneagles in 2014 - birdied his last four holes to beat American Paul Peterson 2&1.
- Host Paul Lawrie among those to reach Round of 32 at Lawrie Match PlayGolfweek.com
- Paul Dunne cruises into second round of Paul Lawrie MatchplayRTE.ie
- Our tip Mikko Ilonen stars on day one of PL Match PlaySportinglife.com
- Winning start for host Lawrie, Molinari outlasts KarlssonAOL UK
- Record win for Ilonen on day one in BavariaGolf365.com
- Ilonen powers into Bavaria second roundSuperSport
- Wall through in Paul Lawrie Match PlayClubCall
- Wall begins title defenseThe High Point Enterprise
- Anthony Wall among players to progress at Paul Lawrie Match PlaySkySports