Melbourne was scored 97.5 out of a possible 100 points, taking the top spot for the seventh consecutive year, ahead of Vienna, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland, Helsinki and Hamburg.
Warsaw was 17.2 points behind the leader in the ranking, which considered stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
At the bottom of the list were cities devastated by war, poverty and political unrest.
Syria's capital, Damascus, was last, with an overall livability rating of 30.2 points.
- Melbourne retains world's most liveable city crownJakarta Post
- Nigeria: Lagos Second Least Liveable City in the World - ReportAllAfrica.com
- Annual global ranking places Lagos as the 2nd least liveable city in the worldNAIJ.COM
- Lagos 'Not Worried' About The Economist RankingThe Whistler
- These are the most liveable cities in the worldVogue Australia
- Lagos ranked 2nd world's least liveable cityThe Punch
- What are the world's most livable cities? Depends how you measure it.Treehugger
- Three European cities in the top ten of the Global Livability ReportNew Europe
- We won't lose sleep over The Economist's ranking — LASGVanguard