Betts lined a two-run double off the Green Monster with two outs in the ninth inning, capping a three-run rally that lifted the Red Sox to a 5-4 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night.
Xander Bogaerts opened the ninth with a solo homer for the AL East -leading Red Sox, who won for the 12th time in 14 games and maintained their 4 1/2-game lead over the second-place New York Yankees .
Zach Duke (0-1) struck out a batter and walked one before John Brebbia gave up Betts' hit after he laid off a pair of tough sliders, with Jackie Bradley Jr. beating a relay home with a headfirst slide for the winning run as catcher Yadier Molina dropped the throw.
Red Sox: Manager John Farrell said LHP David Price (left elbow inflammation) rested after throwing Tuesday.
Red Sox: After a day off, LHP Drew Pomeranz (12-4, 3.39) looks to extend his career-best six-game winning streak when Boston faces the rival Yankees in the opener of a three-game series in Fenway.
- Red Sox stage wild rally in 9th to sweep CardinalsBoston Herald
- Aaron Judge Sets a New Type of Record, Red Sox Stay Hot With Betts' Walk-offSports Illustrated
- Hochman: Another brutal Cards loss — but give assist to umpSTLtoday.com
- Silverman: In field or on bases, Jackie Bradley Jr. makes big distances seem smallBoston Herald
- Ceremonial first pitch misses the strike zone and hits the man zoneWashington Post
- Betts' 2-run double caps Red Sox 5-4 comeback winYahoo Sports
- Red Sox honor 1967 “Dream” teamBoston Herald
- Is this the most important week and a half for the Red Sox and The Late Night ...WEEI.com
- What a play by JBJ and a great walkoff win by the Red Sox. 08-17-17WEEI.com