ARLINGTON, Texas -- Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler had harsh words Tuesday for Angel Hernandez, saying the veteran umpire should get a different job.
Kinsler's comments were reported online by multiple media outlets just before Detroit played the Texas Rangers and early in the game.
The major league record for consecutive games with a home run is eight, set by Dale Long of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1956, Don Mattingly of the New York Yankees in 1987 and Ken Griffey Jr. of the Seattle Mariners in 1993.
Mesoraco, who was placed on the 10-day disabled list Tuesday, was hit by a pitch from Chicago Cubs starter Jose Quintana in the second inning of a 15-5 loss at Wrigley Field.
The Reds recalled outfielder Phillip Ervin from Triple-A Louisville to fill the roster spot before Tuesday night's game at Chicago.
- MLB: Tigers' Ian Kinsler says umpire Angel Hernandez should get another jobLos Angeles Times
- Tigers' Kinsler Says Ump Hernandez Should Get Out of GameU.S. News & World Report
- Kinsler: Umpire 'needs to find another job,' messing with games 'blatantly'Detroit Free Press
- Kinsler on Angel Hernandez: 'He's messing with games, blatantly'The Detroit News
- Ian Kinsler is once again angry in Texas, but not at the Rangers...Dallas News (blog)
- Ian Kinsler on umpire Angel Hernandez: “He needs to find another job.”HardballTalk (blog)
- Tuesday's Sports In BriefLexington Herald Leader
- LEADING OFF: Stanton swings for 7 straight; Kinsler eyes umpMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Ian Kinsler to veteran umpire Angel Hernandez: Stop ruining baseball gamesABC News