Just when it appeared the A’s right-hander might get through six innings in pretty fair shape, he allowed a two-out Grand Slam on a 3-2 pitch to fellow rookie Cam Gallagher.
Compounding the problem was that ball four was a wild pitch that allowed Alcides Escobar to score to give Kansas City a 2-1 lead.
Since his most recent win, a five-inning stint in the A’s 3-0 victory over the White Sox on June 23, Cotton has gone winless in five starts and has spent time on the disabled list because of a blister on his right thumb.
He allowed a run in the first, and the A’s tied it in the bottom of the inning as Marcus Semien launched a Jakob Junis pitch high off the wall in left-center for a triple with one out.
Cain raced a long way and made an excellent catch just before slamming into the part of the wall that displays an Xfinity ad.
- Rookie grand slam carries Royals to 6-2 win against A'sSanta Rosa Press Democrat
- Gallagher hits slam for 1st MLB homer, Royals beat A's 6-2mySanAntonio.com
- A grand night for Cam Gallagher results in 6-2 Royals victory over A'sKansas City Star
- Jharel Cotton continues inconsistent season for A's against RoyalsThe Mercury News
- Grand slam spoils Cotton's night, carries Royals past A'sSan Francisco Examiner
- Athletics get Gallagher'd, Royals win 6-2Royals Review
- A's Jharel Cotton tries to get back on track against RoyalsSFGate
- Game #119: A's Fight But Fall to Royals 6-2Athletics Nation
- Royals' Hammel faces former team, A's (Aug 15, 2017)FOXSports.com