The information was noted in emails exchanged between the automaker and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) about potential road tests, Reuters reported.
In an early 2017 TED talk, Tesla CEO Elon Musk spoke of the firm's work on an electric semi-truck , and teased an image of what it would look like .
One of the most interesting autonomous features mentioned in the report is the ability of the trucks to platoon behind a lead vehicle, forming a caravan to their final destination.
There are currently millions of truck drivers in the US and, as reported by The Guardian , there is a "strong undercurrent of denial" that automation and autonomous vehicles will replace any jobs.
- The Tesla Autonomous Ruse Rolls OnSeeking Alpha
- Leaked Emails: Tesla Will Soon Test “Platoons” of Electric, Driverless Trucks ...Futurism
- Tesla to Test Self-driving Electric TrucksVoice of America
- How Tesla's Self-Driving Truck Scheme Can Dump Human DriversWIRED
- Tesla is developing autonomous trucksautox (blog)
- Tesla May Test Self-Driving Trucks In Nevada, CaliforniaAndroid Headlines
- Tesla wants to make its semi truck autonomous, test it in NevadaMotor Authority
- Tesla may test its unmanned trucks in NevadaNewburgh Gazette
- Tesla meets with California DMV to discuss electric semi, eyes autonomous testsCommercial Carrier Journal