(Cleveland notoriously got the nod after Ohio's film tax credits beat the bottom line on what the studio would have to spend on the original subject, the Buffalo Bills.)
Phil Taylor, who had a couple of decent seasons and then couldn't stay healthy; Greg Little, a receiver who couldn't catch; Owen Marecic; Brandon Weeden; and Trent Richardson.
On what should have been the last play of the game, linebacker Dwayne Rudd thought that he had sacked Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green and given the Browns a 39-37 victory to start the year.
With just over a minute to play, trailing 15-10, quarterback Tim Couch appeared to complete a 3-yard pass to wide receiver Quincy Morgan, good enough for a first down.
Unable to control the crowd and stop the debris from being thrown, officials decided to cancel the rest of the game, and with 48 seconds remaining, the clock was run down to zero.
- Myles Garrett, Corey Coleman among players to watch in Browns' preseason openerESPN (blog)
- Browns vs. Saints: What to watch from Brock Osweiler, Myles Garrett and more ...Akron Beacon Journal
- How to judge if Brock Osweiler is successful in the preseason opener?Dawg Pound Daily
- What you need to know about tonight's Browns-Saints gameMassillon Independent
- Saints-Browns Preview: Brock Osweiler Has Chance To Solidify QB Job Thursday NightCBS Cleveland
- What's the message behind Brock Osweiler's start against the Saints? Bud vs. Dougcleveland.com
- Browns vs. Saints: Your five-minute guide for preseason Week 1 2017cleveland.com
- This is how uniquely unstable Cleveland Browns have been at quarterbackcleveland.com
- Jim Ingraham: The Browns might have found their QB the only way the Browns ...Chronicle Telegram