Freeman’s agent, Kristin Thompson, began publicly talking about an extension in the week leading up to the Super Bowl .
He had a lackluster rookie season under Mike Smith and was buried on the depth chart behind Steven Jackson and Jacquizz Rodgers.
The Pittsburgh Steelers failed to reach a long-term deal with Le’Veon Bell, who will make over $12 million under the franchise tag next season.
Bell will likely set the running back market in free agency next year, and he won’t be cheap.
Part of the reason Atlanta’s offense was able to dismantle opposing defenses last year is the threat of Freeman out of the backfield.
- Falcons reach 5-year, $41.25 million contract extension with Devonta FreemanMyAJC
- Devonta Freeman agrees to terms on monstrous five-year extension with FalconsCBSSports.com
- Devonta Freeman swaps year-to-year dance for six-year commitmentNBCSports.com
- Devonta Freeman signs five-year contract extension with Atlanta FalconsWXIA-TV
- Devonta Freeman, Falcons agree on five-year contract extensionNFL.com
- Atlanta Falcons, Devonta Freeman agree to 5-year contract extensionCBS46 News Atlanta
- Falcons agree to 5-year extension with RB Devonta FreemanKIRO Seattle
- Does Devonta Freeman's contract “reset” the market for Le'Veon Bell?Steel City Underground
- Falcons, Devonta Freeman agree to five-year contractYahoo Sports