United's new striker Romelu Lukaku got his first competitive goal for the club to reduce the deficit just past the hour with a simple finish on the rebound in the annual showdown between the European champions and Europa League Holders.
That sparked a brief period of pressure from Jose Mourinho's United side and they could have drawn level when Marcus Rashford burst through but he was denied by Keylor Navas' save, ensuring Real won their fifth international trophy under Zinedine Zidane.
Europa League holders United barely mustered an effort at Navas in the first period, the club's record signing Paul Pogba wasting their only chance with a shot that was easily blocked when Henrik Mkhitaryan was unmarked screaming for the ball.
A fine save by United keeper David de Gea prevented Toni Kroos from scoring moments after the restart while their defender Chris Smalling did well to block a goal-bound effort from Marcelo and send it into the side netting.
Madrid did not relent, however, and standout performer Isco deservedly doubled their advantage with an arrowed finish beyond his Spain team mate De Gea after bursting into the area and exchanging a pass with Welshman Bale, who later rattled the bar.
- Real Madrid beats Manchester United 2-1 to win Super CupWashington Post
- Manchester United's expectations have changedNBCSports.com
- José Mourinho says it's 'game over' in Manchester United's Gareth Bale chaseThe Guardian
- UEFA Super Cup: Real Madrid vs. Manchester UnitedNewsday
- Passage of time may stand in the way of Jose Mourinho signing Gareth Bale ...Telegraph.co.uk
- Isco goal gives Real Madrid victory over Manchester United in Super CupThe Guardian
- Paul Pogba exposed as Real Madrid's midfield runs the show against Manchester ...Metro
- Isco magic wins Super Cup for Real MadridSport24
- UEFA Super Cup: Isco strikes as Real Madrid see off Manchester UnitedDeutsche Welle