Its fuel economy potentially matches that of a diesel engine without high emissions of nitrogen oxides or sooty particulates.
Mazda's engine employs spark plugs under certain conditions, such as at low temperatures, to overcome technical hurdles that have hampered commercialization of the technology.
Mazda Motor President Masamichi Kogai sits next to a screen showing a slide about its new engine, to be called SKYACTIV-X, at a news conference in Tokyo, Japan August 8, 2017.Kim Kyung-Hoon
Mazda's announced its petrol-engine technology Breakthrough on the same day that shares in Japan's GS Yuasa Corp surged after a newspaper reported that it would start producing a lithium battery that would double the range of electric cars as early as 2020.
- Mazda's New Invention: Diesel, Without The DieselSeeking Alpha
- Mazda HCCI engine, Volvo XC40 spy shots, Tesla Model S record: Car News HeadlinesMotor Authority
- Electric-car showroom, Mazda's HCCI engine, Tesla Model 3 outlook, the end of ...Green Car Reports
- Mazda to Launch Compression-Ignition Gas Engine by 2019Motor Trend
- Mazda's engine breakthrough promises big fuel efficiency gainsEngadget
- Mazda says it has made a long-awaited breakthrough in engine technologyArs Technica
- Mazda confirms HCCI engine for 2019Motor Authority
- Automaker's 'major breakthrough' promises life for internal combustion engineWYFF Greenville
- Mazda Announces a Breakthrough in Long-Coveted Engine TechnologyFortune