He's a son of the Florida panhandle (as every serious golfhead knows) but he's drawn to the Greenbrier, the grand hotel in a rugged nook of West Virginia, like a camper to a bonfire.
Debris is stacked up along the back of the golf academy as workers begin the cleanup of the Old White Course on the property of the Greenbrier Resort.
In the meantime, the vultures were circling, looking for easy pickings on the course, laid out on the soggy fairways like bacon strips in those metal bins at the Marriott breakfast buffets.
He is also a high school basketball coach, a former West Virginia junior-golf champion and, Bubba Watson will tell you "a big teddy bear with an enormous heart."
Among the players in the the field this year are Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson (with his brother Tim caddying for him), Patrick Reed, Jimmy Walker and Si Woo Kim.
- 2017 Greenbrier Classic: 10 golfers to watch, picks to winUPI.com
- CBS broadcaster: Greenbrier tournament coverage is uniqueHuntington Herald Dispatch
- Huntington junior golfer plays with pros Love, ByrdHuntington Herald Dispatch
- Greenbrier Classic: Tour wives aid flood reliefHuntington Herald Dispatch
- Refreshed rookie Luck eyes PGA Tour cardThe West Australian
- Greenbrier Classic will feature father-son duoBeckley Register-Herald
- Bubba Watson reflects on West Virginia flooding and recoveryWSLS
- FanDuel PGA Lineup Advice: The Greenbrier ClassicFantasyPros
- Greenbrier Classic shows W.Va. is alive and wellThe Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration)