Kenley's killing me! Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
“I didn’t have it today. I sucked,” Jansen said after backsliding from three solid outings by allowing a pair of runs in the ninth inning. “You can’t control the outcome. Yes, the command wasn’t what it was the last three games, but you just can’t let this one frustrate you.”I'm frustrated (boxscore). Photo above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2019 at Dodger Insider. Go here to check out more pics from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1956 starter Don Newcombe hit two home runs in a game for the third time in his career -- defeating the Cardinals, 17-2. In 2000 a Dodger fan pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of causing a disturbance at a sporting event, and has been banned from attending home games in Los Angeles for 18 months. The irate patron during a May 30th game threw coffee in the face of a Mets fan who was cheering a grand slam hit by New York's catcher Todd Pratt. In 2013 the Dodgers celebrated their NL West Division title in Arizona by climbing the Chase Field right-centerfield wall to party in their outdoor pool. Watch the event unfold here. In 2014 Clayton Kershaw won his 20th game of the season for the second time in his career. He is the first Dodger pitcher to win 20 game twice since Claude Osteen in 1969 and 1972.
- Happy Birthday, Sadie McMahon, Jack Ryan, Red Barkley, Duke Snider, Joe Ferguson, Scott Baker & Charlie Haeger!
- Video: Backstage Dodgers - Dustin May gets his big league opportunity and joins the team at Dodger Stadium (Video Link).
- Cody -- breaking records, via a tweet from Stats by STATS:
The @Dodgers' Cody Bellinger hit his 45th HR of the year tonight.— Stats By STATS (@StatsBySTATS) September 19, 2019
At 24 yrs & 67 days, he's the youngest outfielder in NL history to hit 45 HR in a season (based on primary position that year), surpassing Willie Mays, who was 24 yrs & 131 days old when he hit his 45th in 1955.
- Via Michael Darling at LA Taco -- "How Dodgers' organist uses his musical talent to subtly throw shade to visiting teams, plus where to find his favorite tacos in LA."
You get to provide commentary.It’s true. Also, with the organ, it can be more subtle. Recently, I played the theme to Hawaii 5-O when the Dodgers took a 5-0 lead. We recently played the Rockies and at one point we had a huge lead, so we had a bonanza of runs, so I thought I should play the theme from Bonanza, the old TV western. Here’s one more, say a Dodger game hits the three-hour mark, I might play the theme from Gilligan’s Island on the organ.
- Via Brian Brown at Beyond the Bricks -- "Getting to Know DJ Peters."
BB: Throwback to the last couple of seasons. What is your favorite: Being the Double-A home run king in 2018 with the Tulsa Drillers, or hitting two jacks off Madison Bumgarner in 2017 with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes?DJ: I would say probably the two home runs off Bumgarner, because that’s something that I will always remember. Not saying I won’t always remember being the home run leader last year, but hitting two home runs off a World Series Champion and MVP and All-Star, that is something that I will cherish forever because of the situation. I’d say hitting the two home runs off Bumgarner.
- Gavin Lux has a new nickname, via a tweet from Michael Duarte:
Justin Turner has coined the nickname “Donald” for rookie Gavin Lux. He won’t explain the origin, but asked that the media refer to him as “Donald,” from here on out. #Dodgers— Michael J. Duarte (@michaeljduarte) September 18, 2019
- He's been one of our best pickups. Per Chad Moriyama at Dodgers Digest -- "Adam Kolarek is delivering as a LOOGY for the Dodgers."
- Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com -- "Pipeline names Dodgers Prospects of the Year: Lux breaks into big leagues; Gray impresses in 1st year with club."
Combined, the 21-year-old Gray was 11-2 with a 2.28 ERA, 0.992 WHIP and 147 strikeouts in 130 innings while allowing only three home runs."He's an incredible kid, an unbelievable athlete, and a lot of it was tapping into the athleticism," said Connor McGuiness, Gray's pitching coach at Class A Advanced Rancho Cucamonga before the midseason callup to Double-A.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *