It’s super simple. But to get the most out of it you need be a little cheeky. If you activate the promotion, by paying for your Amazon cart using your American Express Membership Rewards you’ll get 20% off.
You must have an American Express Credit Card that earns Membership Rewards points to be eligible for this promo.
Not only can you get 20% off Amazon products, but the promotion also includes Gift Cards. Luckily Amazon’s Gift Card collection includes major stores and services like Apple, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, and Uber.
However, the Amex Membership Rewards redemption value on Amazon is awful. 0.7 cents per point to be exact. Do not do it.
Your Amex Membership Rewards are better spent elsewhere where you can get upwards of at least 1:1 value. Doing the math, with the 20% you are saving by using the Membership Rewards Amazon promotion, you still aren’t getting a 1:1 redemption value.
EXTRACTING MAXIMUM VALUE
Pay with Amex Membership Rewards for only a portion of the total amount and the rest with an Amex points earning credit card. In fact, all you need to activate the promotion is to pay using 1 Amex point, the rest can be paid for using an American Express Credit Card. You only receive 20% on your first $500 spent with the promotion, meaning the maximum discount is $100(some people have reported being able to run the promotion multiple times but YMMV).
The terms and conditions of the promotion state that non-amazon listed products can’t be purchased however from experience that doesn’t seem to include thirds party gift cards, and unless you plan to buy $500 worth of Amazon products in the next few weeks, this is where the ultimate value of the deal lies. See the full list of terms and conditions at the bottom of the post.
Some of the major brand Gift Cards available include Apple, Airbnb, Uber, Southwest Airlines, Lyft, Chipotle, Lowes, Nordstroms, Starbucks, Whole Foods, Netflix, Gamestop, AMC Theatres, Fandango, and Spotify.
You’re about to learn a little about me. I used this promotion to purchase $500 worth of Uber and Chipotle Gift Cards. Yup. I will get through these in one month, so thanks to this promotion I’ve saved $100 this month.
Important: When going through the process of using this promotion, I did seem to encounter some issues. The promotion will appear in your Order Summary as the line item ‘Amex 20% off’. If you do not see it, the promotion is not currently active and you will be charged the full amount.
I had to constantly re-activate the promotion on my account and then re-click my cart to take me back to an Order Summary that included the 20% discount. Even if you make multiple orders you will still only be allowed a maximum of $100 off all purchases.
1) Click here to activate the promotion.
2) Browse and choose Amazon products or gift cards and add to cart (up to $500)
3) Make sure an American Express credit card is set as the payment method during checkout.
4) Change the number of membership points you wish to use towards the cart total to 1 Amex reward point.
5) If the Amer 20% off is not appearing in the Order Summary, return to this post and click through the activation link again and re-activate. Then click on your cart.
6) Complete checkout!
AMAZON PROMOTION TERMS
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $100.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with a Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- This promotion starts at 12:00 am PST on July 2nd, 2018 and ends when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.