Many students of Bible prophecy shy away from naming names. Some teachers even strictly prohibit it. My personal view is that no one should definitively state who they think it is since the Bible is clear he will be revealed only after the Restrainer is removed with further confirmation occurring at the Abomination of Desolation.
That being said, I don't think it unwise to merely name candidates. Believers need to be awake and aware of what is going on and that includes an awareness of satan's schemes. No one makes the shortlist unless they've shown an utter disdain for God anyway.
My current shortlist includes: Recep Erdogan, Justin Trudeau, Alexis Tsipras, King Abdullah II, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and Barack Obama. This list has changed since I published a post entitled "Know Your Candidates", but you can read more about a few of these candidates there.
Today I'm adding a new candidate to the shortlist - Zoltan Istvan Gyurko. I'm actually quite surprised he has flown under the radar for so long. A "transhumanist" running for President, denying God and Christ, calling Christians "terrorists", and promising immortality to his followers. He is being featured all over the news and is being taken seriously by many media sources including Wired and The Huffington Post. Electorally he has no shot at winning in 2016, but the question is, is this just his prelude to bigger things? Here he is:
Remind you of any characters you may have seen before? Oh, say, Nicolae Carpathia?
- He was born in 1973, the year of the Yom Kippur War
- He was born in Los Angeles (City of Angels) - ironic as Lucifer is a fallen angel
- The number of letters in his name is 6 (First), 6 (Middle), 6 (Last)
- He is an American citizen, eligible to be President
- Yet his ethnicity is Hungarian, a core part of the ancient Roman Empire - he is unquestionably of Roman descent (Daniel 9:26), something that can't be said of several other candidates
- He is a militant atheist (Daniel 11:36-37)
- He promises immortality/eternal life to his followers
- He publicly denounces morality as "chains" that should be broken and encourages every kind of vice (2 Thessalonians 2:3)
- His only object of worship appears to be science and technology (Daniel 11:38)
- He voluntarily had his hand implanted with an RFID chip (Revelation 13:16-17) - see here