The pain we get in our head region is commonly known as a headache. Headaches can be of different kinds and of different intensity. Every a headache has a specific region and a specific region or idiopathic. If you have experienced a headache in the region above eyes and nose, then you probably got a Sinus infection approaching your way.
Sinus infection can be effectively treated by using the home remedies known since ages.
What Is Sinus Infection?
A hollow cavity in the bones or tissues, like the bones of face and skull that connects to the nasal cavities is known as a sinus.
An inflammation due to any kind of infection in the tissue surrounding the sinus is known as a Sinus Infection.
Sinus cavities are filled with air. But sometimes it gets filled with fluid and germs which result in this kind of infection.
Causes of sinus infection are-
- Common cold.
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Nasal polyps.
- Deviated septum.
Types of Sinus Infections are-
Acute Sinus Infection:
This infection lasts for about 4 weeks. The symptoms are not differentiable from that of common cold.
Sub-acute Sinus Infection:
This infection usually lasts for more than 7 weeks.
Chronic Sinus Infection:
This is a long term infection and might last for more than 2 months.
Recurrent Sinus Infection:
This kind of sinus infection is short in length but reappear several times in a year.
Symptoms of sinus infection are-
- Facial pain or pressurized feeling on the face.
- Nasal blockage.
- Nasal discharge in which the color is thick, green, or yellow.
- Loss of smell and taste.
- A cough or congestion.
- Bad breath.
- Dental pain.
- Headaches usually in the region above the eye.
Treatment For Sinus Infection:
Sinus infection is mainly treated with the help of antibiotics when it is caused by bacteria. Drugs like amoxicillin and azithromycin are commonly used.
In viral infections, antibiotics are not of use. Hence, medications which break down mucus is used like Guaifenesin. This category of drugs is known as mucolytic drugs. Other drugs used in both cases are OTC nasal sprays and drops which help to clear the blocked nose for a few hours. Painkillers are also used.
Every medication has its own effects. Hence, the best medicine is that which is available naturally. Hence, here I enlist few home remedies by which sinus infection can be treated.
Home Remedies To Treat Sinus Infections:
Ginger is a very ancient remedy for various types of ailments. The main chemical constituents that are found in ginger are volatile oils and resins like gingerols and phenols which are pungent in nature. These phenols have excellent expectorant properties. These inhibit the secretion of mucus from epithelial cells and maintain normal motion of the inner nose. Blockage of the nose is also cleared by ginger. Hence, it is very effective for sinus treatment.
- You can make ginger tea.
- All you need to do is to grate some ginger and keep it in a bowl of boiling water.
- Let it remain there for 10 minutes.
- Filter the solution and add honey. This will aid in cold and cough and also add a sweet taste to your tea.
- Alternatively, you can also make a ginger extract.
- All you need to do is cut the ginger into very tiny pieces.
- Crush it with the help of mortar and pestle or a mixer.
- Put the crushed ginger in a muslin cloth and press it with your hands to take out its juice.
- You can have this 2 times a day during the sinus infection.
- You can also use the ginger tea you made above for a nice ginger compress.
- All you need to do is not add honey in it and let it cool down a bit.
- Then insert a hand towel in the tea, and let it soak the tea.
- Drain the excess tea from the towel and place it on your face covering your head and nose.
- Inhale deeply for 10 minutes.
- Do this 3-4 times a day.
Garlic is known best for its antibiotic property. Garlic being all natural will kill the bad bacteria in your body and also help in protecting the good bacteria which maintains the flora and fauna of your body. Remember the best way to consume garlic is to eat it raw. Cooking it destroys its properties. The chemical constituent present in garlic which is responsible for its medicinal property is allicin.
- You can take few garlic cloves and soak them in water for a while.
- After soaking, you can crush them and make a paste out of it.
- Take this paste very close to your nose and inhale deeply. You can also apply the paste below the nose and let it stay there for some time.
- I know the smell of garlic is very pungent, but this will help you get rid of sinus very fast.
- If the smell if too much for you to bear then eat garlic cloves raw.
- Chew 2-3 pieces very fast and swallow with water. That way you don’t have to taste it for a long time.
- Eat honey later to mask the taste and smell.
- You can also mix the paste of ginger with tomatoes or with lemon and salt.
- You can also add garlic to your salad and also make a garlic dip by mixing it with avocados.
Fenugreek is a very good remedy for inflammation caused due to sinus because of having anti-inflammatory properties. Nasal congestion or any kind of pressure felt on your face can be easily treated with fenugreek seeds. It also reduces other symptoms of sinus like a headache, cough, and nasal discharge. It also stops the post-nasal drip. This is caused when the sinus membranes get inflamed and sends the mucus at the back of the throat which generally causes bad breath.
- Fenugreek seeds can be made into a tea for treating sinus.
- Take a bowl of water and add the fenugreek seeds into them.
- Boil this water till it reduces to half of its quantity.
- Filter it and consume the tea.
- You can also add honey if you want.
- Drink this twice or thrice a day to get relief from sinus.
Mustard seeds contain heat and also have anti-fungal properties.it reduces nasal congestion, pain, and fungal infection if that is the cause of sinusitis.
- Take few mustard seeds and add them into a cup of water.
- Boil it till the water reduces to half of its quantity.
- Let it cool then with the help of a dropper add this solution into your nose drop by drop.
- It will help the clear the nasal passageway.
Like mustard seeds, mustard oils are also used for the treatment of sinus infections. Mustard oil is very helpful in killing the bacteria like salmonella and staphylococcus.
- Directly take some mustard oil into a dropper and pour 1-2 drops inside your nose.
- You can also suck the oil from your palm if you do not have too much blockage.
Cumin seeds are very widely used in Ayurveda since a long time. They are mucolytic in nature and help to melt down mucus. They also reduce mucus formation and help in decreasing any kind of inflammation and pain, thus making it a very good remedy for sinusitis.
- Make a roasted cumin paste by dry roasting the seeds.
- After roasting crush them to get a fine powder.
- Mix honey with this powder and make a fine paste.
- Consume this paste once a day daily.
- You can also make a cumin decongestant.
- All you need is a muslin cloth for this remedy.
- Wet the cloth slightly and place some cumin seeds inside them.
- Wrap it nicely and inhale the smell of cumin from within the cloth.
- This will break down the mucus buildup in your nose and let you breathe easily.
7.Black Cumin Seeds:
This type of cumin seed is also known as nigella seed and is very useful because of its anti-inflammatory and analgesic property. These seeds have chemicals like sterols, oleic acid, linoleic acid and some volatile oils. These oils are antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and mucolytic in nature. Hence, they are very useful for sinus infections. They also help to build up immunity against diseases.
- Take few seeds and keep them in a muslin cloth.
- Wrap them up nicely and wet them with the help of warm water.
- Bring them near to your nose and inhale the smell of the seeds to break down the mucus buildup in your nose.
- You can also mix black cumin seeds oil in hot water and use it as a steam inhaler.
Cinnamon is a natural antibacterial and antiviral agent. It is also used as an antiseptic in some cases. It has been used widely since a long time to treat diseases like the common cold, flu, and sore throat. Hence, it is very useful for the treatment of the sinus infections. Chemical constituents present in cinnamon which aids in the properties of cinnamon are eugenol and cinnamaldehyde. These kill the bacteria and helps reduce the inflammation of sinus membranes helping to prevent post-nasal drip. It also improves a headache and breathing difficulties.
- Crush 2 or 3 cinnamon sticks and make a fine dry powder out of it.
- Mix it with honey and have it once daily.
- You can also mix the powder with little hot water to make a fine paste. Apply this on your forehead, nose and below the nose to reduce inflammation and blockage.
9.Homemade Essential Oils Diffuser:
This is one of the best remedies for sinus infections. Essential oils are known to treat various ailments in a very calm and pristine way. Likewise, cinnamon oil is one of them. Mixing cinnamon oil with other essential oils will give you a very good combination of a diffuser which will provide you with quick relief from a headache and blockage of your nose. Below is a recipe for a homemade oil diffuser-
- You need cinnamon oil, thyme oil, and clove oil.
- Boil water in a bowl and add the oils to the hot water after putting off the flame.
- Immediately wrap a towel around your head covering your eyes and the bowl and bend yourself towards the bowl.
- Keep inhaling the steam for 10 minutes till you feel light in your head and a free nose.
Horseradish is known for its mucolytic property. It is a very good home remedy to treat any kind of sinus infections. It helps to break down mucus and drains them out of your system along with dead germs. They are also high in sulfur which is why it should be taken cautiously.
- Use a very low dosage like about one-fourth of a teaspoon.
- Grind the root.
- Keep it in your mouth till you cannot feel its taste anymore.
- After removing the taste swallow the herb quickly.
- The removal of taste is needed to absorb all its chemical constituents before it passes onto first pass metabolism. Hence do not eat it immediately. This results in the very fast effect.
- Start with a lower dosage, as low as ¼ tsp.
- Grate fresh horseradish root to get ¼ tsp of the grated herb.
11.Onion for Sinus Infection:
Onion contains a chemical compound known as quercetin which has naturally acquired antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties. This is why raw onion helps to clear nasal congestion easily and is useful for the treatment of sinus infections. Remember to eat only raw onions because cooking might destroy its properties.
- Chopping onion itself is a very useful thing to do during a sinus infection. Its high sulfur content will make you cry and clear your head and nose of mucus easily. This will help to release any kind of pressure felt on the face area.
- You can also boil water and add onion to it.
- Let it steep in it, then you can inhale the steam like I have mentioned earlier.
- You can also consume raw onion with the addition of lemon juice and salt for an effective treatment of sinusitis.
12.Apple Cider Vinegar:
I think you must have been expecting to read this name as apple cider vinegar is a magic remedy for various diseases. So not surprisingly it also treats a chronic sinus infection by breaking the mucous and getting rid of it. It also treats symptoms like running nose and headache. This is also useful for the treatment of sinusitis on the onset of the disease.
- Take 2 tablespoons of vinegar and add to 2 cups of water.
- Take it throughout the day.
- You can also swallow one spoon of vinegar at once to clear nasal blockage immediately.
- You can also inhale warm water mixed with vinegar from both your nostrils.
- You can also use the vinegar to be inhaled in the form of steam by adding it to hot water.
- Or make vinegar tea by simply mixing 2 spoons of vinegar with a glass of water and add honey and lemon juice to it.
This herb is related to the sunflower family. It treats cold and flu efficiently. Due to its antibacterial and immune boosting properties, it helps in treating recurring sinus infections easily.
- You can consume this herb by making Echinacea tea.
- Boil a cup of water and add the herb to it.
- Let it boil on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then filter the solution and drink it. You can drink this tea 3-4 times a day if you are suffering from a severe infection.
- This herb shows some reaction with drugs hence if you are on any kind of medication; consult your doctor once before consuming it.
You must have used this oil for spicing up your daily food but did you know it can be used for the treatment of sinus infection as well? Well, the chemical constituents present in it like carvacrol and thymol have antimicrobial properties. They are also antispasmodic and anti-oxidant in nature. They are also used as an antiseptic. All these properties make it possible for this oil to fight the sinus infection to a great extent.
- Mix oregano oil in water in the ratio of 1:2.
- Keep it under your tongue.
- You can also mix oregano oil with olive oil and massage it on your forehead to clear the nasal passageway.
- You can also inhale oregano oil as a diffuser.
A sinus infection can be really painful to the person who is suffering from it. Hence, let us spread the easy remedies I have mentioned above to help them recover quickly.
The post Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Sinus Infection appeared first on MavCure.