Questran Powder is used for:
Lowering blood cholesterol levels. It is used along with changes in diet. It is used to relieve itching caused by partial biliary obstruction. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Questran Powder is a bile acid sequestrant/anion-exchange resin. It works by increasing the removal of bile acids from the body. As the body loses bile acids, it replaces them by converting cholesterol from the blood to bile acids. This causes the blood level of cholesterol to decrease.
Do NOT use Questran Powder if:
* you are allergic to any ingredient in Questran Powder
* you have a complete obstruction of your biliary tract, severe constipation (eg, impacted feces), high blood chloride levels, or certain types of elevated blood lipid levels (type III, IV, or V hyperlipidemia)
* if you are taking mycophenolate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Questran Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
* if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
* if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
* if you have heart disease; constipation; hemorrhoids; gallbladder problems; blood, bleeding, or clotting problems; high blood levels of triglycerides; poor absorption from the intestinal tract or other intestinal problems; kidney problems; or phenylketonuria (PKU)
* if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Questran Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
* Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), digoxin, digitoxin, estrogens, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), mycophenolate, penicillins (eg, amoxicillin), phenobarbital, phenylbutazone, phosphate supplements, progestins (eg, medroxyprogesterone), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Questran Powder
* Spironolactone because the risk of high blood chloride levels may be increased
Use Questran Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
* Questran Powder is usually taken by mouth with meals.
* Questran Powder may decrease the absorption of other medicines. All other medicines should be taken at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking Questran Powder. Check with your doctor if you have any questions about taking your other medicines along with Questran Powder.
* If you are also taking anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), take Questran Powder at least 6 hours after you take the anticoagulant unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
* Do not take Questran Powder in its dry form. Always mix with water or other fluids before taking.
* If you are taking Questran Powder with a beverage, add the prescribed amount of medicine to 2 to 6 ounces/60 to 180 mL of water or other noncarbonated liquid before taking. Stir until well mixed (it will not dissolve) before drinking. After drinking all the liquid, rinse the glass with more liquid and drink it to ensure that all medicine is received.
* Questran Powder may also be mixed with soups (chicken noodle, tomato) or fruits (eg, applesauce, crushed pineapple) containing plenty of fluid.
* Do not sip Questran Powder or hold it in your mouth for a long period of time because this may cause tooth changes such as discoloration, decay, or erosion of enamel. Maintain good oral hygiene while you are using Questran Powder.
* Drink several glasses (8 ounces/240 mL) of water or other liquid daily, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
* If you miss a dose of Questran Powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Questran Powder.
* Questran Powder may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Questran Powder with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
* If you experience constipation while taking Questran Powder, talk to your doctor about increased fiber intake and use of a stool softener to help relieve this side effect.
* Phenylketonuria patients - Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
* The color of the powder may vary from batch to batch. This is normal and does not change the effect.
* Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Questran Powder. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
* Lab tests, including lipid and cholesterol levels and prothrombin times, may be performed while you use Questran Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
* Use Questran Powder with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially constipation.
* Caution is advised when using Questran Powder in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially high blood chloride levels.
* PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Questran Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Questran Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Questran Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; irritation of the skin, tongue, or anal area; severe constipation; severe or persistent nausea; shortness of breath; stomach pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting.
Store Questran Powder at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Questran Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.