The couple between cognitive opening and Atmosphere wickedness is really worrying though not startling (High wickedness levels ‘causing outrageous rebate in intelligence’, 28 August). The news by a Royal College of Physicians in 2016 drew a couple between atmosphere wickedness and insanity in a aged and reduced cognitive opening in children. This new investigate from China indicates that teenagers and adults are also affected.
We don’t know how these effects are mediated, though with neurotoxins such as lead a many vicious duration of bearing is expected to be during pregnancy. A investigate undertaken in New York of non-smoking mothers showed clever associations with foetal bearing to particulates and successive Mental Health Problems in those children during primary propagandize age. These problems enclosed anxiety, basin and ADHD. This has useful implications for open health. We are pang an widespread of mental health problems among British schoolchildren that a medical contention is incompetent to explain. There is an obligatory need for serve investigate in this area, though we am not wakeful of any investigate in a UK that addresses this problem.
Dr Robin Russell-Jones
Former chair, Campaign for Lead Free Air
• As Matthew Taylor’s essay ‘Dangerously dirty’: a conflict over atmosphere pollution’ (29 August) suggests, we acquire a mayor’s ultra-low emissions section as partial of a devise to purify adult London’s air. As good as Ulez – that aims to shorten entrance to executive London for a many polluting vehicles – a many effective approach to tackle atmosphere wickedness would be to implement some-more high-speed charging points for electric vehicles.
According to a investigate consecrated by Addison Lee, given a complete mileage of Private Sinecure Vehicles, switching a singular one to electric energy has an impact homogeneous to switching 10 secretly owned cars divided from fuel. But to do so, a attention needs chargers that take half an hour, rather than dual or 3 hours. We demeanour brazen to ancillary a work of a mayor’s new taskforce to enhance electric car infrastructure to expostulate this bulletin forward.
Transport for London’s offer to extend a overload assign to private sinecure vehicles will work opposite these objectives, holding income out of a attention during a time when companies wish to deposit in a vehicles indispensable to support a pull for cleaner atmosphere in a capital, while doing small to assuage congestion.
CEO, Addison Lee Group
• The “criticism that a mayor is not rebellious pivotal polluters” should embody incinerators as good as black cabs. If Sadiq Khan believes PM2.5 emissions from incinerators aren’t inspiring Londoners’ health, he should ask Public Health England because a incinerator investigate initial betrothed in 2011 stays unpublished some-more than 7 years later.
• Join a discuss – email [email protected]
• Read some-more Guardian letters – click here to revisit gu.com/letters
• Do we have a imitation you’d like to share with Guardian readers? Click here to upload it and we’ll tell a best submissions in a letters widespread of the imitation edition