Start the new year with new breakfast habits! This Orange Chocolate Muesli is bound to get your tastebuds dancing. Chinese New Year is just around the corner with an abundance of mandarin oranges. Instead of throwing out the aromatic peel of the mandarin, let’s save the zest for your breakfast bowl in the morning.
Most store-bought Muesli contains added sugars or dried fruit (which may contain added sugars too) which increases the total sugar content of the product. This can range from 1-4 teaspoons of sugar! Health Promotion Board recently highlighted that refined carbohydrates make up the bulk of a person’s carbohydrate intake in Singapore, with sugar taking up 22% of total intake. Frequent intake of sugary food and drinks can lead to unwanted weight gain and increases your risk of dental caries especially with poor dental hygiene.
It is really easy to make your own ‘no added sugar’ muesli at home and there are so many variations you can do with oats and different types of nuts and seeds. If you have a food dehydrator at home, you can consider drying different fruit and adding this to create your own muesli recipe. For this recipe, we will explore Orange Chocolate muesli, and yes there’s no sugar added too! This muesli is best enjoyed with plain low-fat milk or yoghurt and topped with some fresh fruit such as bananas or berries. For another tasty breakfast oat recipe, check out Amara’s breakfast bars.
Orange Chocolate Muesli
Serves: 4 Time: 20mins
- 12 tablespoons or 3/4 cup of plain rolled oats
- 1 handful or 30g of hazelnuts
- A tablespoon of quinoa
- A tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of mandarin peel finely diced into large crumbs
- 2 teaspoons of plain unsweetened cocoa powder (alternatively use cacao nibs or a combination of both)
- Spread oats evenly on a pan and toast for 1 minute or until crisp, leave to cool
- Toast hazelnuts for 2-3 mins or until golden brown, leave to cool
- Place hazelnuts in a bag and crush into small pieces
- Toast quinoa for 1 minute and leave to cool
- Toast mandarin peel until dried and crisp 1 minute at a time for 5 mins, be careful as crumbs burn easily
- Combine all toasted ingredients above with cocoa powder and mix thoroughly
Per serving: 93 calories; 7g fat; 25g carbohydrates; 6 g protein
Carbohydrate Servings: 2