In the 21st century, thanks to the development of Pregnancy Ultrasound diagnostics, parents do not need to spend nine long months to wonder what a small miracle looks like that develops in the womb. Now future moms and dads can get to know their baby already at the earliest stages of pregnancy. However, first of all, ultrasound is not necessary to satisfy the curiosity of parents. This procedure gives answers to much more critical questions.
The natural desire not only of the future mother but also of the doctor is the desire for early detection of a possible pathology in the coming baby. And the most crucial component of the complex of diagnostic measures for pregnant women is ultrasound. It is this procedure that allows to eliminate congenital diseases of the Fetus already in the early stages and, thereby, to save the woman from fear of having a child with developmental abnormalities.
At the same time, if the fetus has any severe defects, the woman has the opportunity to terminate the pregnancy: at the very beginning, it is much less traumatic to take this decision than at the later stages. Of course, it is reasonable to carry out early diagnostics, which is sometimes so fateful, only specialists with vast experience in the field of prenatal ultrasound diagnostics and having the most modern technology can do it.
- And what kind of markers are they?
- These are signs, the appearance of which allows you to suspect the presence of any pathology in the fetus. One of the most important indicators, which the expert evaluates during an ultrasound in the first trimester, is the thickness of the collar space. It is an accumulation of fluid between the fetal skin and the soft tissues surrounding the cervical spine.
After the 14th week, the collar space disappears, so it is so important to adhere to the periods indicated for the survey. With the thickness of the "collar" more than 2.5 mm high risk of developing chromosomal pathology, diaphragmatic hernia, and malfunctions in the formation of the cardiovascular system.
Another "tip," which doctors pay attention to during Ist trimester ultrasound, is the formation of the nasal bone. In a typically developing fetus, it should be determined by the 11th week. In chromosomal diseases, this process slows down, so the absence of nasal bone during these periods may be an indirect sign of impairment.
- If I trimester ultrasound showed suspicions of chromosomal abnormalities - what should I do?
- The main thing is not to panic ahead of time. Further, the more detailed examination will allow finding out all the nuances. The Pregnancy Ultrasound data must be evaluated in conjunction with a biochemical study. And if the blood test also revealed a high risk of birth of an inferior child, the pregnant woman is sent to a geneticist who raises the question of karyotyping the fetus.
This invasive technique gives the most reliable result, but it must be done with caution - only in a good clinic, with a doctor with extensive experience in implementing similar procedures.
- Some pregnant women refuse ultrasound, fearing to get bad results
- Of course, future mothers worry a lot about their baby, do not sleep at night in anticipation of doctors' verdict. However, at the same time, if you do not undergo the necessary examinations, the same fear, uncertainty, and doubt will torment the woman during all nine months, and this is much worse. So it is better at the earliest stages of pregnancy to try to clarify the situation and make sure that everything goes well.