|USB Pen Drive|
The small utility displays many properties, including driver class, protocol, device class, specific description, firmware revision, power rating, serial number, and other information. You may have to research such data (or specs) for further significance. This approach might be more useful for larger or more expensive USB hardware, e.g. external drives, DVD burners, and web camera's. But can quickly retrieve a list of information, and export to text, HTML, and XML report format for either all or selected items within the program.
List of USB Devices
(Click for larger view)
You can perform operations and auto start custom string type commands when a device is connected (i.e. when inserting), and also when removing the device. Standard commands include enable, disable, change drive letter, speed testing (for read and write speeds),auto play, opening in registry for editing (did not seem to work), and a few others. Command strings include %device_name%, %service_name%, %device_type% and other user specific parameters within the advanced options. So what user specific commands would be useful here? And to what degree of complexity? As a guess, and if you know how to script or program a little then perhaps...
Auto Run Scripts from USB Drives - Ideas
* execute a virus, malware or spyware scan for itself when first inserting a USB flash drive (particularly if you have used portable scanners from itself on an infected computer)
* Conversely auto virus or security scan when external drive is connected to another system, e.g. laptop, or desktop. Ideally with the portable apps suite (part of my review).
* Auto run a player from a thumb drive with a custom play list of video clips or mp3 files (worth a try).
* Set (i.e. program) a time to auto restart or boot into dual boot operating system
* Create any task (well maybe), depending on your skills or experience, e.g. for USB diagnostic auto launch (i.e. auto play) utilities and common software such as portable players, browsers, text readers, and so on.
Properties for USB Lexar 4 GB Pen Drive
(Click for larger view)
Perhaps USBDeview is useful for those that want to quickly get information from various connected devices, compare USB properties, check speeds, and quickly disable and enable devices. But perhaps importantly, apply and run custom commands for auto launching of a USB portable utility for computer convenience and optimization purposes.
Related: My article on USB Flash Drive Benefits and External USB Drive Enclosure (2008)
Computer Tech links