The Check Weather Chrome Extension is a dubious Chrome add-on that was already taken down from the official Chrome Store due to the number of bugs and weird side effects that its users experienced and reported. The extension appears to be listed as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) by cybersecurity product vendors so that it is safe to say that there is something fishy about it.
The Check Weather Chrome Extension’s official websites can still be found at hxxp://check-weather.biz and hxxp://allthatweperceive.com, but the download links don’t seem to be working. According to the extension’s description, it is meant to provide users with the current, hourly and weekly weather forecast with the push of a single button. However, user reports submitted online show that the installation of the Check Weather Chrome Extension may be accompanied by annoying side effects such as:
- Chrome’s new tab and default search service might be replaced by alternative ones that are not reputable.
- Users might encounter paid advertisements while browsing the Web.
- The removal of the Check Weather Chrome Extension might be impossible to carry out due to numerous errors such as ‘Installed by your administrator’ or ‘Installed by enterprise policy.’
The dubious extension seems to be published by Capital Intellect, a company that is associated with several other weather forecast extensions that use the same design as Check Weather:
- Nilla Weather by hxxp://nillaweather.com
- Chrome Weather by hxxp://chromeweather.net
- Weather for Chrome by hxxp://weatherforchrome.com
If you have either one of these add-ons installed, we advise you to remove them since they seem to be linked to dubious side effects. While they are certainly not unsafe, you don’t need to use 3rd-party tools to view the current weather forecast since this information is one Web search away from you. The removal of Chrome Weather and its variants can be performed with the help of a suitable PC security utility.