Geena Davis is to reunite with the cast of ‘A League of Their Own’ to play a softball game to celebrate the movie’s 25th anniversary.
Geena Davis never would have guessed that at she would be making cinema history as Dottie Hinson in 1992’s A League of Their Own, which also stars other big names such as Tom Hanks, Madonna, Lori Petty and Rosie O’Donnell. Recently, Davis came clean about some of the behind the scene secrets behind this timeless sports drama/comedy.
- When Hanks, who portrays the intimidating and rather loud manager of the made up team from the first all-female pro-baseball league, shouts to one of his depressed players, “There’s no crying in baseball,” it never made Davis feel as though this moment was as memorable as it is actually considered.
- Geena Davis’ audition consisted of showing off her baseball skills in director Penny Marshall’s backyard. According to Davis, “(Marshall) wanted to make sure I could throw a ball, so that happened, I threw the ball to her, competently got it to her, she caught it and said, ‘OK.’ That was the whole audition.”
- Sponge balls were used on set. The safety of the crew was top priority for all close-up batting shots. Sponge-filled balls were used in each of these shots, to prevent the risk of a black eye, and/or a potential law suit!
According to Davis, “You’re actually hitting in the direction of the camera crew. For close-ups, those balls were squishy. They looked like real baseballs, but they were all spongy inside so we wouldn’t clock anyone.”
- Davis actually pulls off the famous on-camera split like a champ! When playing the catcher position, Hinson is forced to do a gymnast’s split when she is reaching to catch a foul ball, which Davis was able to train herself to execute in real life for the camera. She claims that, “Penny asked if I could do a split. I said to put it later in the shooting schedule to give me time to work up to it. It’s hard to learn that quickly. But I did. The thing I did not do was get up from it. My character does a Chuck Berry split and then hops right back up. There was no popping up happening. I was stuck there and had to be helped up.”Her secret: She took a hot bath in order to loosen up her muscles before the scene and she of course proceeded to absolutely nail the split.
- Davis admits to being intimidated at first by the fact that Madonna had signed to play a role in the film. In that time, Madonna was at the peak of her career. To the cast and crew’s pleasant surprise, Madonna was a joy to work with! She literally put blood sweat and tears into training for the part as she apparently loved to slide onto bases head-first! Davis remembers aloud, “She was Madonna. We wondered if we were going to be able to talk to her. Was she going to have an entourage? Were they going to put up walls around her where she stands?”
CLICK HERE TO READ FULL STORY
Do you know of any other cool fun secrets behind Geena Davis and/or this film? Share them with us in the comment section below!
The post Geena Davis: Behind the Ball, Unleashed Secrets Of “A League of Their Own” appeared first on Do You Remember?.