|Infiniti Nissan Proximity Remote and Emergency key|
"Prox" is short for Proximity Remote:A Proximity Remote is simply a vehicle remote that is "detected" as it gets closer to the vehicle. In most cases there are at least three outside antennas, hidden from sight, that can detect a proximity remote as it approaches the vehicle. If the proximity remote is recognized as being valid or registered by the vehicles Body Control Module (B.C.M) computer, it will allow the vehicle to be unlocked or locked by touching a small botton located on the outside door handles and rear door / hatch
The Infiniti Nissan name for this system is "Intelligent Key System" or "I - KEY".
Once the proximity remote is moved into the cabin of the vehicle, a different set of antennas detect the proximity remote and will allow the vehicle to be started without using a key.
|Infiniti Nissan Push Botton Start Ignition|
|Infiniti Nissan Twist On Ignition Lock|
|Infiniti Nissan (Non Prox) Regular Ignition Lock|
There are 4 different electronic parts to the Infinity / Nissan Vehicle.
- The face of the ignition lock has a plastic "Twist" knob instead of the common metal face.
- Behind the Twist knob is a fully functional metal ignition lock assembly with just 1 tumbler in it.
- The ignition locking mechanism is controlled by a electrical solenoid for turning and security.
|Infiniti Nissan Twist On Ignition lock and key|
- Looking into the instrument cluster you will see an Indicator light for the PROX system, also known as "Intelligent Key System".
- If you push inward on the Twist knob the indicator light will turn Green if it detects a registered PROX remote.
- A red indicator light will mean that no registered PROX remotes are present.
Instrument Cluster or Dash board
- As part of the PROX system there are "Access" bottons on the front door handles and on the rear hatch.
- Once a PROX remote is detected close enough to the vehicle, the bottons can be used to lock or unlock the vehicle.
|Infiniti Nissan door handle Access botton and lock|
- The vehicle has a "Body Control Module" (B.C.M) unit.
- The B.C.M (Body Control Module) allows the programming of keys and remotes into its memory, never have to call the dealer for a PIN Code.
- (A locksmith will use Nissan Super Code or other software to covert the B.C.M number into the Pin needed to program keys).
|Body Control Module (B.C.M) Label|
If the information in this post was useful to you spread the word and help others find it; share
Automotive and Commercial Locksmith
6105 Johnson Street
Hollywood, FL 33024