The national flower of Ukraine is Sunflower (Helianthus) . It’s scientific name is Helianthus annuus . Sunflower belongs to Asteraceae family, Heliantheae tribe and Helianthus Genus. Ukraine symbol which is Ukraine flower here is usually tall annual or continuing permanent plants that grow to a height of 300 centimeters (120 in) or more.
The Sun flowers have one or more wide, terminal capitula (flower heads), with bright yellow ray florets at the outside and yellow or Meroon (also known as a brown/red) disc florets inside. Some ornamental cultivars of Helianthus annuus have red-colored ray florets.
Most of the florets stem from a single original transformed. During growth, sunflowers incline during the day to face the sun but stop once they begin blooming. This tracking of the sun in fresh or active sunflower heads is called heliotropism (orienting response to the sun).
- Read: National flower of Malaysia: Hibiscus
At the time when they become mature, sunflowers generally face east. The rough and hairy stem is branched in the upper part in barren plants but is usually un-branched in domesticated cultivars.
The leaf stalk are dentate (having tooth-like projections in the margin) and often sticky.
The lower part of leaves is opposite, egg-shaped or often heart-shaped. At the time blooming or unfolding looks clearly shows that the flower head is actually made of many tiny flowers called florets.
Central florets look like the center of a normal flower while the outer florets look like yellow petals and together they make up an “untrue flower”.
This natural design helps insects and birds to easily see the sunflower and after pollination, every little flower or floret produces a seed.
- Read: Iris: France national flower
Ukraine flowers are round flower heads in combination with the plant that is shaped like a strap (band) look like the sun.
This and other species, notably Jerusalem artichoke (H. tuberoses), are cultivated in warm and hot regions as food crops and ornamental plants.
The countries which send Flowers to Ukraine also like sunflowers.
10 Facts about SunFlower: you should know
- Sun flower is the native, Famous and popular flower of Ukraine country.
- According to 2012 Guinness World Record for the tallest sunflower is 8.23 m (27 ft) for a sunflower grown in Germany.
- A Famous Dutch language painter Vincent Van Gogh feathered his every painting with sunflowers due to its popularity.
- Sunflower has two kinds of seeds. The Sunflower oil which is used in cooking and in butter is made from black seeds and snack food (light food) is made from the striped seeds. The seeds can also be used as bird feed.
- It can also be processed into a peanut butter alternate called Sun butter. In Germany, sunflower seeds are mixed with rye flour to make a type of bread which is known in Germany as Sonnenblumenkernbrot (sun flower rolls or sunflower whole seed bread).
- The Ukraine national flower (sunflower) is also native and popular to the American’s and was used extensively by Native American Indians for food, as oil, in bread, medical ointments, dyes and body paints.
- Sunflowers can be used to extract toxin such as lead, arsenic, and uranium from the dirty soil. Due to this property the flowers were used to remove toxins from a pond after the Chernobyl disaster ( accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plantin the city of Pripyat, then located in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic of the Soviet Union (USSR)) and similar projects took place after the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
- The flowers are the symbol of faith, loyalty, and respect.
- Extracted Oil is able to soften leather, condition hair, wounds, and also used as cooking oil, medicine paint, animal feed and bio-diesel.
- Oil of sunflower is rich in minerals like calcium and iron and contains vitamin A and Vitamin D
Sunflower Flower meaning:
Helianthus the scientific name of Sunflower is the combination of two words that is Helia for Sun and Anthus for Flower. It means that it is the only flower with a flower in its name. Other common meaning of this flower is Long life, mainly since most varieties stand in full bloom for months on end during the hottest days of summer. Loyalty and strong bonds between two people, as represented by the strong and upright stem, seeking out positivity and strength, as the bloom turns to face the sun.
Why is Sunflower the National Flower of Ukraine ?
Since the early time, flowers have attracted us with their unique beauty and cool fragrances. But some of these exceptional ‘gifts of nature’ possess unbelievable characteristics that are unknown to many of us.
- Read: Kuwait national flower: Arfaj
Here we will discuss some interesting facts about Spain flowers, both rare varieties and those we see regularly. State Flowers are the special design or visual object representing a quality, type, expression, and culture etc. Emblems and symbols signify country.
Particular Ukraine national flowers have traditional or religious origins that go back hundreds or even thousands of years some are consulted by government bodies which may or may not have been officially accepted. Whereas others become familiar due to public interest.
Sunflowers come to Ukraine through the efforts of the early explorers of North America. Where it was one of only a few native food crops (along with squash, blueberries, and pecans).
Seeds were brought back to the old world and found to grow well in hot, dry places with rich soil, such as the “Black Earth” regions of Ukraine.
They follow the movement of the sun across the sky from east to west, and this process is known as heliotropism.
Although it exists throughout the world. Ukraine was the best place for its growth these flowers are the plants from which birdseed, sunflower oil, and edible sunflower seeds arise. Having enormous edible property houses decoration, long lasting property sunflower become the national flower of Ukraine country.
Some other popular and famous Ukraine flowers are: Chamomile flower, Orchid flower, Red Rose flower, Iris flower and Rhododendrons flower.
The post Sunflower (Helianthus): The National Flower of Ukraine appeared first on Read National.