Since today is Ash Wednesday, I thought we should talk about Easter Baskets since Easter is now less than 6 weeks away. Since I try to do things on a budget, I had everything purchased for LB's Basket less than a week after Christmas. I tried to take advantage of the after Christmas sales especially on toys to fill her basket.
We love clearance at my house. DB jokingly calls it Clarence. He says Clarence is nice fellow always making things more affordable for shoppers.
Some toys, though, are still on clearance left over from the holidays. In fact, just last week, I picked up one of the GoldieBlox sets on sale at Walmart for 70% with the intentions of saving it for a present for DB's niece's birthday in June. So, it's still possible to score some deals for Easter Baskets.
Since we don't do candy or processed snacks with LB, I had to think on what to get her for her basket. I, also, felt like I had just gotten her many of the things I would put in an Easter basket in her stocking. Since Easter is so early this year, many of these things will be barely used by Easter.
I decided to not go with a traditional basket again this year for her. I was concerned how she would do with one, so I'll just use the fabric one she had last year. We're also going sans grass in the basket since I'm worried she'll either eat it or drag it everywhere.
|LB with her Easter basket last year.|
Here's what I got for her Easter Basket.
1. I ordered 2 of these hand puppets from Gearxs for $2.99 each with free shipping. LB loves hand puppets and finger puppets, and this price is just amazing. I was completely surprised by their quality. We got her the ladybug since I have a thing for ladybugs and the crab since we live in Virginia. The butterfly and caterpillar, though, would be quite appropriate for spring.
2. I bought a 3 pack of bubbles at Christmas from the Dollar Store. One went in her Christmas stocking. One will go in her Easter basket, and the other will be for when those two are empty.
3. Socks. I got some Teenage Mutant Ninja Mutant fuzzy socks clearance down to .10 cents at Target after Christmas. I think she'll like the texture, and we're starting a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle collection for her since it was her dad's favorite as a kid.
4. A stuffed bunny. I had got a new one with tags from Freecycle from someone who was moving before Christmas along with some books and other toys. Since it was still new, I decided to use that bunny instead of buying a new one.
5. Light up Ball. Her last one died recently, so I picked up a new one in the dollar spot at Target.
6. The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss' Book of Opposites. LB loves Dr. Seuss. I try to pick up used copies of Dr. Seuss books whenever I can find them. However, I had to shop for a first birthday present for one of her playmates, so I ordered two copies off of Amazon since it was a cheaper price than I see Dr. Seuss books elsewhere.
7. Freeze Dried Fruit. We are pretty conservative with our snacking options for LB. We prefer homemade puffs, homemade applesauce, fresh fruits, veggies, and hummus. With her lactose intolerance and our preference to avoid processed treats. However, especially when we're out and about, we like freeze dried fruit. Before the Superbowl, lots of stores have most snacks on sale. Target still has their brand of freeze dried fruit on Cartwheel until April.
8. Five Little Monkeys finger puppet book. LB loves books and finger puppets, so we've been meaning to get her a finger puppet book. When Aldi added the Little Learners finger puppet books as a special buy, we had to pick up one. I've since picked up another for her to play with now. They still have a few of these at our local Aldis.
9. Bath fingerpaint, I picked up in the dollar spot at Target. Yes, I know I spend way too much time at Target.
Other ideas for a one year old that aren't candy:
2. sidewalk chalk
3. headbands or barettes
4. sippy cups
5. Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
5.toddler silverware or tableware
6. bath toys
7. bath mitts
8. finger puppets
9. sensory balls
11. sand pail
12. toy cars
13. bath crayons
14. new shoes
15, musical instruments especially a shaky egg
17. toy camera
18. toy phone