|Herbs of Medicinal Value!
We find various herbs commonly growing around us but never take much notice of them. But you will be surprised to know and learn about their therapeutic and medicinal potentials in treating common health ailments. The Ayurvedic and the Siddha system of medicine have been incorporating such plants in treating illnesses since ages. Its time to recognize this wealth of health easily found grown in our backyards and kitchen gardens and make use of it in staying healthy.
- Neem is used for multi purpose remedies. This includes sprains, flu, skin diseases, heart diseases, fever, indigestion, viral infection, etc. Some serious health concerns like cancer, kidney diseases, sexually transmitted diseases are also claimed to be treated by neem extract.
- Peppermint is carminative, relieves muscular spasms, increases sweating, stimulates secretion of bile and is an antiseptic. It’s therapeutic value lies in its ability to relieve wind, flatulence, bloating and colic. Studies indicate that it relieves colon spasms and helps to cure ulcers. Peppermint also eases headaches. Menthol, its main constituent, is known to have antibacterial properties.
- The Indian Gooseberry is aphrodisiac, hemostatic, carminative, stomachic, diuretic and laxative. Being nutritive, it increases red blood cells count. It is one of the highest natural resources of Vitamin C (3,000 mg / fruit).
- Ashoka relieves diabetes, treats dyspepsia, diseases of the blood, tumors, abdominal enlargement, colic, piles, ulcers and bone fractures as well as diarrhea & bleeding piles. The leaves of the plant has a special blood purifying property. It also serves as an excellent uterine tonic and is very useful to treat syphilis and biliousness.
- Lemon helps to control Blood Pressure, purifies blood, reduces swelling of the spleen & strengthens the immune system. It is rich in vitamins C, B, B2, and calcium & iron. The plant protects our body against germs and bacteria.
- Betel leaf exhibits carminative, stimulant, astringent and aromatic properties. The leaf improves taste & appetite. Betel leaf juice is a tonic to brain, heart, liver and other internal organs. It is beneficial in improving bowel action in cases of constipation. Betel leaves juice also cures eye problems and night blindness effectively.
- Peepal tree is useful in inflammations & glandular swelling of the neck. Its root bark is useful for stomatitis and in ulcers. Roots of peepal tree are good for gout. The roots when chewed are considered beneficial for treating gum diseases. Its fruit promotes digestion, checks vomiting, treats asthma & is useful in urinary troubles & heart diseases. The leaves of peepal are also used to treat constipation.
- Bay has a reputation for soothing the stomach and relieving flatulence. Its leaves are known for their ability to relieve aches & pains associated with rheumatism, & for sprains, bruises, and skin rashes.