My Birthday is on December 10, so we decided to celebrate it along with America's birthday. I created this yummy cake as a way to serve a red, white and blue cake for both occasions. This is not an ordinary birthday cake. On the outside, it appears plain red and completely unassuming. But, the inside is extraordinary. At least, I hope it will be extraordinary! We top each piece with a heavy whipping cream with birthday candle and everyone blows out the candle to celebrate both birthdays.For now, here’s a little look with ingredients,directions to make & nutrition details of America’s birthday cake.
70% would make again
Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup red food coloring
1 Teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon Spice Island® Pure Vanilla Extract
2-1/4 cups cake flour
2 Tablespoons baking cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup orange juice
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugarDirections
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add the blueberries, nutmeg and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peak forms. Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
- 1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce and 3 tablespoons cream equals 378 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Keep Visiting Gourmet Recipes Love Blog for more yummy and delightful desserts.
This post first appeared on Gourmet Food Recipes,Easy Gourmet Recipes & Health, please read the originial post: here