As a human, it takes time to absorb this fact that Grapes and raisins can be harmful to dogs if you are listening to this for the first time that. Grapes and raisins are the fruits that are considered to be healthy for humans but in dogs, the equation is completely opposite. Grapes and raisins are considered to be the most the toxic fruits to eat. While the reason behind this toxicity is still unknown the consequences of eating grapes can be harsh and life taking.
Grapes of any type red or black or green all types of grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs irrespective of their breed.
There might be some questions popping in your brain like What to do? What are the symptoms? Etc. Let’s have them answered one by one.
1. What To Do When My Dog Ingests Grapes Or Raisins?
- Immediately rush to the vet and leave it to him/her.
- Your vet might ask you several questions please explain everything in detail which will help your vet to carry one with procedure more efficiently
- The vet will flush the stomach with fluids to get rid of the grapes or raisins
- Your dog might be put on dialysis to support kidneys if acute kidney failure has occurred
- Activated charcoal can also be used to prevent the absorption of toxic substances into the blood
- He/she will try to induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide, you can also do that in your house when you see that your dog has ingested the grapes.
- Many laboratory tests such as blood tests, urine tests and biochemistry profile will be od to determine the toxicity and current position of your dog’s health.
- Increase blood calcium resulting in hypercalcemia and increased level of phosphorous and creatinine is also suspected. This gives a clear idea of kidney functioning
- Ultrasound can also be carried out by your vet to check the kidney size and damage.
- Time is the most critical factor in this situation so it is better to act quickly and proactively. Sometimes it has been impossible to save the dogs that were treated immediately as well.
2.What Are The Symptoms?
- It can take up to 24 hours for the first symptoms to show
- Ulcers on gums
- Sudden kidney failure within 1-3 days
- Problem in urination to the extent that the urine is not at all produced
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dehydration, abdominal pain, and tremors or seizures
- Foul breath due to the stoppage on urine production
- Increased blood pressure
- If the condition of the dog doesn’t progress, the dog can slip into a coma as well
3.What Quantity Of Grapes And Raisins Are Harmful?
- Any quantity of grape is toxic but to be précised 32 grams of grapes or more than that per kilogram of body weight is harmful
- For raisins 11-30 grams per kilogram is harmful
Please ensure that the grapes are kept out of the reach of dogs because dogs will eat anything and everything they can. It is entirely up to you to keep a check whether the grapes are freely lying on sofa, couches or dining table or not.
Grapes can seriously change everything in a minute for you and your dog. Just make sure you don’t let that happen. Know about other human foods that can affect the health of your four-legged beloved with the article “Human Foods That Affects Dog’s Health Adversely“.
The post MY Dog Ate Grapes. Should I be worried? appeared first on BestVetCare.