Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) is a disorder which is characterized by excessive bleeding and bruising. Due to low levels of platelets, bleeding occurs. Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura is also known as immune thrombocytopenia. It affects children and adults. After a viral infection, children often develop ITP and usually recover without treatment.
If the Platelet Count isn’t too low and one doesn’t show any signs of bleeding, you may not need treatment. But sometimes, the number of platelets may be so low that severe internal bleeding occurs [only in rare cases].
Normally the platelet count is 1, 50,000 per micro liters of circulating blood while in ITP platelet count is below 20,000. Normally our immune system helps our body to fight against diseases and infections but in ITP our immune system destroys and attacks its own platelets.
Classification of ITP
It is classified into 2 types:
- Acure ITP
- Chronic ITP
Acute ITP: It mainly occurs in children and lasts for less than 6 months. It is the most common type of ITP.
Chronic ITP: It mainly occurs in adults and teenagers and lasts for 6 or more than 6 months.
Risk factors of ITP
There are few risk factors which are listed below:
- Viral infections: The risk factors for this disease are viral infections such as flu and mumps.
- Sex: Women are at higher risk than men.
Symptoms of ITP
- Superficial bleeding which appears as pin-point sized reddish purple spots especially on the lower legs.
- Blood in stools and urine
- Prolonged bleeding from cuts and injuries.
- Excessive bleeding during surgeries.
- Promotion of the bruises.
- Bleeding from the nostrils and gums.
Diagnosis of idiopathic thromcytopenic purpura
It can be diagnosed by taking medical history, physical examination, bone marrow examination and complete blood count.
Complications of ITP
Intracranial Haemorrhage is the most common type of complication. Due to the prolonged use of corticosteroids, some of the complications may occur like osteoporosis, cataract, high blood sugar, muscle mass loss and an increased infection risk.
Treatment of ITP
As in ITP, antibodies form and start destroying the platelets of the body. To treat the root cause, ayurvedic herbs stop the process of formation of antibodies which improves symptoms such as decreased platelets, bleeding and patches on the skin. Ayurveda has a complete solution to this problem and the patients are get satisfied with this natural treatment.
There are several kinds of herbal and natural remedies for the treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura which are as follows:
- It is also known as Tinospora cordifolia.
- Due to its several medicinal properties, it is also known as amrita.
- The plant of giloy is very large. This plant’s benefits increases if taken along with amla and neem.
- This plant is a preferred choice in the treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura as well as in dengue because of its properties to increase the platelet count.
- Since ancient times, it has been used in several ayurvedic formulations.
- It helps to fight several type of infections.
- Giloy can be taken as leaves and these are also available in the form of juices and tablets.
- Boil giloy leaves in a cup of water then allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Strain it and drink this remedy on daily basis. You can add a teaspoon of honey for better taste.
- Having 1-2 capsules after meals with plain water will give you amazing results.
- It is also known as Withania Somnifera
- It is a potent and wonderful herb in the ayurvedic therapeutic system.
- It is very helpful in the treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Due to its beneficial and amazing health benefits, ayurvedic practitioners have such an abiding love for this herb.
- It helps our body to re-train itself to be healthier, as it is an adaptogen.
- This herb helps in the prevention of immunosuppressive activity of the body to allow platelet counts to rise.
- This herb is available in the form of powder and capsules.
- Daily intake will show amazing benefits especially in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Papaya leaf juice
- This is one of the wonderful herbal remedy for the treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura and in dengue it helps to increase the low platelet count.
- According to some researches, it is believed that regular consumption of papaya leaf juice will help to increase the platelet count within some time.
- Daily intake of this juice after every 2 hours will result in increasing the platelet count.
- It should be taken by the patients who do not want to take corticosteroids for the increment of platelets.
- It can be affordable as it is inexpensive.
- According to some researches, it is believed that monthly intake of phosphorus will help to increase the platelet count. But the mechanism behind this is not known.
- After calcium, phosphorus is the one whose increased levels will increase the formation of new cells and tissues. This is the only reason it is given in the patients suffering with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- One of the easiest and effective remedy is intake of vitamin C. It is an important component of collagen.
- Vitamin C helps formation of bones, muscles, tissues and blood cells so, by increasing the intake of vitamin C will result in increased production of platelets.
Some lifestyle and diet modifications for the management of ITP
- Avoid garlic, tulsi, ginger, turmeric, peppers and chillies as these are warm in nature and acts as blood thinners.
- Daily intake of papaya leaves, coriander leaves, fresh spinach leaves, fresh mint leaves and giloy stem will help in the platelet count raise.
- Consumption of 4 glass of coconut water daily will help to keep the body hydrated.
- Daily intake of pomegranate juice will help in the hydration of the body.
- Moong dal, khichdi, light chapatti should be given to the individuals.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
The post Natural Treatment of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) appeared first on Zigverve.
This post first appeared on Zigverve - Health & Lifestyle Blog | Health, Fitne, please read the originial post: here