Surakai Payasam - சுரைக்காய் பாயசம்
Made kheer with suraikkai (bottle guard) I tasted this during my college days.
Easy to make and is a natural body coolant.
1. Grated Surakkai (Lauki) - 2 cups
2. Milk - 1 lit
3. Sugar - 1 cup (200 grams approx)
4. Ghee - 1 tsp
5. Elaichi Powder and saffron for garnishing
1. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and sauté the grated Surakkai (Lauki)
2. Add boiled milk and cook nicely.
3. The quantity of the milk should reduce to 3/4 lit .
4. Now add in sugar and bring it to boil till it thickens.
5. Garnish with Elaichi powder and Saffron .
I used full cream milk to get the richness and thickness of the kheer.
Serving suggestion:- Refrigerate before serving.