Onions is one of the most used vegetables in the kitchen. it is not only delicious but full of many health benefits. Onions is part of the Allium family which includes garlic, chives, scallions, leeks. Onions are flavorful cooking items with plenty varieties to choose from.The most common varieties are, yellow onions, white onions, red onions, sweet onions, green onions and shallots. This kitchen item is a bundle of healthy stuffs, never mind the tears it brings to your eyes. Onions are high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Onions are good source of vitamin C, vitamin A B6,sodium,potassium,sulphuric compound, flavonoids, and phytochemicals.
Whether raw,sauteed,baked, steamed or boiled, onions is not only delicious but full of many superb health benefits that your body needs.
Health benefits of Onions:
- Prevent Cancer: Quercetin in Onions prevent cancer cells from growing. it helps prevent cancer forming by getting rid of free radicals in the body which form cancer cells.Red Onions have the highest concentration of quercetin. Eating onions regularly may reduce your risk of stomach cancer. Studies have shown that a diet high in onions may reduce your risk of prostrate cancer by 50%. Eating between one to seven servings of Onions per week has been associated with lower risk of colorectal and ovarian cancer. Also diet that has many servings of Onions per day may help reduce the risk of oral and esophageal cancer.
- Promote Healthy Heart: Consuming onions regularly help in lowering your blood pressure thereby reducing the risk of heart attack. Quercetin in Onions help prevent plague build up in the arteries, which cut down the risk of stroke and heart attack. Onions also helps prevents the formation of blood clots, this allows blood circulate smoothly and reduce the risk of heart diseases.Onions helps lower the production of bad cholesterol thereby keeping your heart healthy.
- Boost Immunity: Onions contains loads of phytochemicals and vitamin C, which help boost your immunity level. A strong immunity level is able to ward off cold,flu and diseases naturally. Quercetin in Onions helps break down mucus in your chest ,relieving you of congestion.Onions have the ability to ward off and relieve symptoms of common flu.it helps in reducing inflammation and heal infections.
- Regulate Blood Sugar:The sulphur in Onions helps regulate blood sugar, this is good news for people that have diabetes.
- Bone Density: Studies have shown that consuming onions regularly help improve bone density. Women who eat onions regularly have 20% lower risk of developing hip fracture, so load up on Onions Sisters!!!.
- Improve Oral Health: Chewing onions regularly help strengthen your teeth and ward off tooth decay causing bacteria. if you want to kill germs in your mouth and improve your oral health, chewing a piece of onions for 3minutes can potentially help in achieving that.
- Soothe Bee Bites: Have you been stung by a bee?,apply Onion juice to the affected area for quick and immediate relief.
- Boost Sex Drive: Do you know Onions helps promote healthy sex drive?, if you are trying to improve things in the bedroom, consuming more Onion might do the magic. one tablespoon of onion juice mix properly with a spoonful of ginger juice, taken 3 times daily might just do the trick.
- Promote Digestive Health: Onions is a good source of dietary fiber, which is essential for good digestion. if you have poor digestion problem, consuming more Onions can help with this
- Strengthen Hair follicles:Onions contains Antioxidants, which protects your body against free radicals.The presence of free radicals in the body, may destroy the hair follicles leading to loss of hair. Onion juice contain anti bacteria properties, which help get rid of scalp infection and strengthen your hair follicles.
- Promote Hair Regrowth: The Sulphur in Onions help provide your hair with beneficial nourishment. it can also help promote hair regrowth, it helps restore lost nutrients to your scalp.Onions increase blood circulation, which in turn help promote hair growth and minimize hair thinning and breakage.
- Prevents Graying: The many antioxidants in Onions help prevent premature graying, leaving your hair silky and shinning.
- Get rid of Dandruff: The rich anti bacteria properties in Onions help get rid of dandruff and hair lice and also help fight other scalp infections like inflamed, dry, or itchy scalp.
- 1 Whole onion
- peel and cut into small piece
- put in a blender and add small amount of water
- Blend until very smooth
- Filter the juice using a cheesecloth or a muslin cloth
- Squeeze out all the juice
- Apply juice to scalp or hair root
- Leave for 15mins and wash your hair with your normal shampoo
Apply a small amount of Onion juice to your inner elbow or back of your ear, wait a few minutes if irritation develops, it is not advisable to apply this juice to your scalp.
Benefits of Onions For Skin:
Make Your Skin Glow: Do you desire a healthy and glowing skin?, increase your consumption of onions, its that simple. Vitamins A,C and E in onions protects your skin from skin infections and premature aging, caused by the presence of free radicals in the body. Onions can rejuvenate dull complexion and get rid of skin pigmentation. Quercetin in Onions keeps your skin wrinkle free, and sulphur in Onion makes your skin soft and tender.
Anti- Acne: Are you always bombard with Acne?,worry no more, the anti- bacteria and anti- inflammatory properties in Onions protects your skin from Acne causing bacteria, leaving your skin smooth. Onions can also be used in treating pimples.
Mix one tablespoon of Onion juice with one tablespoon of Olive oil,apply on your face. Leave on for 20mins and wash off with Lukewarm water.
Note: To be sure you don't react to onion juice do a patch test first, details above.
Soft Lips: if you have dry and dark lips ,Onions can help turn this around. Take one teaspoon of Onion juice, add some Vitamin E oil, mix together and apply on your lips at night. This will help remove all dead skin cells from your lips.
To enjoy all the health benefits of Onions, include it in your daily meal plan. If you like this post please share.