There has been much talk about the Laptop Ban that the United States enforced earlier this year on flights to the country from eight countries. It was said that the ban could be extended to Flights Departing Europe as well. We recently heard reports that an extension to cover flights departing the U.S. was being considered as well. The latest report suggests that the Department of Homeland Security is essentially considering a blanket ban on laptops being carried in the cabin on all flights to and from the country.
Earlier this year, the United States banned electronic devices bigger than smartphones on all flights originating from eight countries and headed to the U.S. Passengers on those flights can no longer take laptops or tablets with them in the cabin, they have to check in their devices.
In an interview with Fox News Sunday, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said that airlines continue to face a “sophisticated threat” from terrorists that plot to bring down flights headed to the United States.
The Department is reportedly considering extending this ban to all flights departing and coming to the United States. A final decision has not yet been taken but is expected to arrive in the near future.