Chana dal Halwa is one of the popular South Indian traditional sweet recipe made on special occasions like festivals, marriage, etc. This mouth watering halwa will surely loved by everyone and have a unique taste. You can make this halwa like a pudding texture or as halwa itself.
- Chana dal-1cup
- Ghee- 1/2 cup
- Sugar-1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
- Saffron -few strands
- Milk- 1 1/4 cup
- Fried nuts-to garnish
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for about 3-6 hours.
- Drain it and add in to a blender; make a coarse paste out of it without adding any water.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with ghee; add the chana dal paste in to it and saute on low flame for 5 minutes or until dried well without changing its color and looks like bread crumbs (you must stir continuously).
- Add sugar; mix well and the dal mix changes little watery; stir well until changes to nice golden.
- At this point add milk,saffron strands and stir well without forming any lumps.
- Cook until the halwa starts leaving from the sides of the pan (or the desired consistency; you want to).
- Add cardamom powder, fried nuts; mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve warm or cold!!!!