Soft and moist, this one bowl Blackberry Lemon Bread is mildly sweet and zesty in taste. It’s a quick bread that’s made oil free and vegan with fresh and healthy ingredients. A perfect accompaniment to your coffee or tea.
Usually, I like to satisfy my sweet cravings with this fresh baked bread but my kids love this blackberry bread for breakfast.
I made it with fresh blackberries and lots of freshly squeezed Lemon juice along with its grated zest.
It is aromatic and so flavorful in every bite that it is hard to stop in just one slice.
Health benefits of blackberries
They are packed with fiber and vitamin C. It’s a great source of vitamin K too. They help boost brain health and supports oral health also. Along with being low in calories its one of the healthiest fruits that’s very high in antioxidants and minerals.
We love to snack on fresh blackberries but when I baked this blackberry bread recipe it was a game changer and has become our favorite.
I often bake blackberry muffins every year and we enjoy this unique baked dessert. However, most of the time I like to blend this blackberry smoothie which is very nutritious.
My daughter loves baked desserts with lemons so I often bake vegan lemon cookies and lemon bars for her. Overall, we enjoy lemon goodies mostly all year round.
However, combining blackberries and lemon together in this recipe turned out to be absolutely delish and super awesome.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This vegan blackberry lemon bread is my recent favorite and will be yours too because its:
- Easy and quick to bake with only 10 ingredients.
- Its fruity, lemony and zesty in flavor with soft and moist texture.
- Along with being vegan, its oil free and nut free too.
- It only takes 10 minutes to prep and the bake time is 45 minutes. If you are like me, you may just pull it out of the baking pan once baked and slice it while its warm and enjoy immediately.
Ingredients for blackberry lemon bread recipe
Whole wheat flour
Lemon (for zest and juice)
I baked these delicious vegan blackberry breakfast bread with only 10 simple ingredients. It’s very easy to whip and a family friendly recipe.
Whole wheat flour – I always like this part because it adds more fiber to my recipe.
Oat flour – it’s a healthy complex carbohydrate with being in low GI food category. You may grind your own or use a store bought one.
Lemon – I used 1 large lemon to zest and then juice it.
Flaxmeal – it’s a great egg substitute along with being high in omega 3 fatty acids.
Dairy free milk – I always keep this part flexible so any milk of your choice can be used in this blackberry bread recipe.
Maple syrup – its my favorite versatile sweetener.
Blackberries – use the fresh ones because they work best here.
For detailed measurement of ingredients please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make Blackberry Lemon Bread
Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, I combined whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder and salt. Then, I mixed it well and folded in lemon zest into it.
Secondly, in the flour mixture, I added soaked flaxmeal, maple syrup, milk, vanilla and lemon juice.
Next, I whipped it into a dough like batter.
Thereafter, I added halved fresh blackberries into the batter.
Afterwards, I mixed it gently making sure to scatter the blackberries all over the batter.
Next, I spooned it out into the prepared loaf pan and shaped it with a flat spatula.
Then, I baked it in the middle rack of the oven at 350 degree for 45 minutes.
Once done, I turned it off and took the pan out and let it cool down on a flat surface.
Lastly, I gently pulled out the parchment paper along with the bread and placed it on a flat working counter. I let it cool down a bit more and then sliced it.
We totally loved our evening tea with this delicious and fruity baked cake like bread.
You may slice and enjoy as is which is my favorite way to devour. However, you may smear it with vegan butter if desired. Other option is to smear it with your favorite jam like apple jam or simple drizzle maple syrup over it.
How to store this healthy blackberry lemon bread:
As soon as the bread cools down slice it and spread each slice in a single layer to cool down further at room temperature. Then, store it in an air tight container and refrigerate for about 3 weeks.
- After adding blackberries to the batter, it is important to only mix it 2-3 times so as to scatter the fruit all throughout the batter. Make sure the berries are not heaped in one side of the batter.
- Most importantly, while shaping it in the pan do not press too much. Gently shape it with a flat spatula.
Simply toast it lightly for 1-2 minutes or bake it again at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 3-4 minutes.
I tested it by refrigerating and that worked better. Since its lemony and zesty freezing might change its taste a bit.
Blackberries when cooked, release its juice naturally. So, frozen berries might affect its baking and rising point by releasing too much liquid. Hence, I recommend using fresh blackberries for the best results.
My other vegan sweet bread recipes that you might like:
Vegan Blueberry Bread
Cranberry Orange Bread
Butternut Squash Cranberry Bread
Sweet Potato Bread
Pan Roasted Raspberry Bread
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or on Twitter. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because I would love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Blackberry Lemon Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large lemon zest (grated lemon skin)
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1 large lemon juice
- 1/8 cup almond milk/oat milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup halved/sliced fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare 8 ½ inch bread/loaf pan with a parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well and then fold in lemon zest in the flour mixture nicely.
- Now, to the flour mixture, add soaked flaxmeal, maple syrup, lemon juice, milk and vanilla extract. Whip it well to form a dough like batter.
- Fold in blackberries and mix gently again (do not over mix, just scatter the blackberries throughout the batter).
- Spoon the batter out in the prepared bread/loaf pan and shape it according to the pan with a flat spatula. Place it in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once done, turn it off and take it out. Place the pan on a flat counter to cool down. Gently, pull out the parchment paper along with the bread and place it on a flat working counter. Let it cool. Slice and enjoy.
- How to store – As soon as the bread cools down slice it and spread each slice in a single layer to cool down further at room temperature. Then, store it in an air tight container and refrigerate for about 3 weeks.
- How to re-heat – toast the slices for 1-2 minutes or re-bake it at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 3-4 minutes or enjoy it straight from the fridge.
- This recipe makes 10 thick slices and the serving size is 1 slice per person.
- You may bake it in 9*5 inch bread/loaf pan as well. It may come out little longer than the original but will rise perfectly and taste the same.
The post Blackberry Lemon Bread appeared first on Kiipfit.com.