Italian seasoned mashed lentil quinoa meatballs look just like real meatballs, perfect for pairing with your favorite marinara sauce and nestling into a big bowl of warm noodles. Vegan, soy-free…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water (or you can use ground chia seeds)
- 3/4 cup green lentils, rinsed &a drained well
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained (I’ve also used cooked cauliflower in a pinch)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground to a fine powder (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flaxseed and water in a small bowl, stir and set aside to set up for 10 minutes.
- Use a food processor to blend the sunflower seeds to a fine powder.
- Cook the lentils and quinoa separately according to package directions. Add both to the food processor with the sunflower seed powder.
- Saute onions in olive oil in a large pan over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Add the onions to the food processor.
- Add basil, Italian seasonings, bread crumbs, garlic powder, flax mixture, salt and pepper to the lentil mix. Pulse until you have a fine crumb and all ingredients are combined.
- Form the mixture into golfball-sized “meatballs.” If the mixture feels dry, add 1 tbsp olive oil to the mixture and pulse a few times.
- Place the lentil meatballs on a parchment lined tray and bake for 15-20 (flipping once halfway through) or until both sides are lightly browned.
- Serve “meatballs” over pasta or zucchini noodles with your favorite marinara sauce.
The post Vegan Italian Lentil Quinoa MeatBalls!!! appeared first on Low Recipe.