Vegan Queso Blanco Dip is a dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free, and better-for-you take on the tex-mex favorite white cheese sauce!
Even though I was born in and love California, I have planted my roots deep in the heart of Texas. This Texan loves herself some queso! When I was younger and living in Houston, my family used to frequent Berryhill Baja Grill. Oh my gosh, their white Queso was to die for! When we moved to Dallas, I serioiusly had separation issues from that cheesey dip. Then fast forward about 8 years, I developed lactose intolerance… That was a rough time, but a story for another time! Basically, I needed some sort of cheesey dip back in my life.
Last year I shared my go-to vegan queso, with a base of potato and carrot. More recently I shared a super quick and easy vegan cheese sauce, using just 7 ingredients. While I love these tasty recipes, I wanted to finally experiment using cashews to create a queso or cheesey sauce. I also wanted to attempt to recreate the Berryhill queso blanco!
My biggest takeaway from working with cashews to create a glorious plant-based dip, you must use a high-speed blender. My food processor did the best job it could, but this really was a job for my PureMix Blender. If you’re lucky enough to have a Vitamix, pull that bad boy out!
This is a great dip to bring to a party, serve as an appetizer, smother a burrito in, or dip your dairy-free quesadilla in! Start the night before, soaking the cashews. Don’t worry this recipe really is quick and easy once you get past the first step. From there, boil the potato to soften it, combine everything in your blender, mix until smooth, then transfer to a pot over medium heat – that’s where the magic happens! Once you’re happy with the taste and consistency, you’re either ready to serve or place in a crockpot to keep warm.
What’s your favorite dip? Queso, bean dip, hummus? Let me know in the comments!
Vegan Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese)
Yields: 4 cups
2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
1 medium russet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 small yellow onion
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
Optional add-ins: Chopped green chiles, diced tomatoes
1. Begin by soaking cashews overnight. Add them to a bowl and cover with water.
2. When you’re ready to make the dip, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the potato and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain, let cool, then transfer to blender.
3. Drain and rinse the cashews then add to blender with the remaining ingredients.
4. Blend until smooth. Add more vegetable broth and seasoning, as needed. Once completely blended, stir in optional add-ins.
5. Transfer to a pot over medium heat and warm until it reduces into a thick and ooey-gooey cheesey dip. Stir occasionally then serve hot or pour into a crockpot to keep warm.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list.