Extra Mineral is a new company to me. So, when I met some of the ladies that work there at the International Beauty Show in New York I was very curious to learn more about the brand, and I was intrigued by their many Dead Sea Mineral based products.
I have tried other products that contain Dead Sea Minerals, however, they were included in such minute quantities that I was unable to detect any real benefits to my Skin. Extra Mineral products claim to use, “26 Dead Sea minerals” in their Anti-Aging Obliphicha Cream SPF-30, so I was very excited to try the product when they sent me a complimentary one for testing purposes.
Obliphica, Extra Mineral’s star ingredient in the Anti-Aging Obliphicha Cream SPF-30, is usually referred to by its other name, Sea Buckthorn Berry, and it, like other popular oils, hails from distant lands. This thorny shrub grows near rivers and in sandy soil along the Atlantic coasts of Europe and throughout Asia, where it has been used for centuries in traditional medical applications. Today Most of the world’s sea buckthorn plantations are located in China. There, the shrub is used for soil and water conservation in addition to its healing properties.
The Obliphica shrub oil provides healing and rejuvenating effects on the skin. When the oil is used topically, it’s a great natural cleanser and exfoliator. It can also help heal burns, cuts, wounds, sunburn, rashes, and other types of skin damage.
Using sea buckthorn oil daily helps slow down the signs of aging by nourishing the tissues in your skin and body. It is able to do this because this oil contains over 190 nutrients and phytonutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A , superoxide dismutase (SOD), an important enzyme that helps prevent free radical damage. Plus, obliphica/sea buckthorn is the only plant source that contains omega-3, 6, 9 and 7.
Extra Mineral products are paraben-free, SLS/ALS free, DMDM and aluminum free. They don’t contain propylene glycol or cyclomethicone (silicone). Instead of using burning and drying ethyl alcohol, Extra Mineral products use tiny quantities of cetyl alcohol, a moisturizing, hydrating compound.
I have been using this Sunscreen for about a month now on a daily basis and I have to say that I have really been enjoying it. Unlike many other chemical sunscreens do, this does not break-out my skin or cause me to get red splotches. In fact, I find the formulation to be very soothing to my sensitive skin and hydrating as well. It does not leave my face feeling greasy and it does not have a heavy sunscreen odor.
The ingredients that make the Sunscreen protect skin from both UVA/UVB rays are: Octocrylene, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane. While I am not a chemist or scientist my research shows that, Octocrylene is a great tool for boosting sunscreen efficacy, and Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate is an active ingredient in OTC (over the counter) sunscreen products that are applied to the skin to absorb, reflect or scatter UV rays. Octyl salicylate is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics to absorb UVB rays from the sun and last but not least, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane also known as Avobenzone or Parsol 1789 is a white or pale yellow synthetic compound that is used as a UVA absorber in sunscreen products. Additionally, my research shows that these ingredients are tried and tested and have been used safely in many OTC sunscreens for many years. Now I understand why this sunscreen does not irritate my skin, while other products I have in the house do!
My biggest – and only real gripe with this product is that it is packaged in a jar. Those of you that follow me know that I am not a fan of jar packaging because it exposes the product to too much air and if not used carefully product contamination is inevitable. I know that it is not always practical to package products in an air-tight pump, so, I offer the following best practices for using products in jar packaging:
- Never use your fingers to dispense product
- Designate a small metal spoon or something like it that can be sterilized after each use, or use a disposable item like a wooden wax applicator that you throw out after each use
- Never double dip the object used to remove product from the jar without sterilizing between uses
- Close the lid tightly and as quickly as possible
- Store the product in a cool, dry place, away from any sunlight
- Pay attention to the appearance of the product, if it starts to change color, separates or if the smell changes, stop using the product as these are all signs of contamination or expiration
Now, here is what I really like about this product:
- This does not irritate my skin or cause breakouts
- The product does not have a heavy sunscreen smell
- The product does not leave a heavy white cast on my face like some sunscreens do
- The cream absorbs well and leaves my skin looking and feeling hydrated
- This sunscreen does not make my face greasy
- This cream can be worn alone or under foundation without changing the color or texture of my foundation
- I really like that this does not contain parabens or silicones
- I like that all the ingredients that make up the sunscreen are safe
- I like that this product contains minerals and vitamins
- I like that this company does not test on animals
If you are looking for a good sunscreen that won’t break you out I highly recommend giving Extra Mineral’s Anti-Aging Obliphicha Cream Spf-30 a try – it really does work well!
This post first appeared on Beauty Ballerina-SkinCare, HairCare, Makeup, Nails, please read the originial post: here