I have been meaning to make fresh Spring Rolls for two months, but they seemed like a lot of work and hard to handle. So, I kept postponing it until last week. I’m glad to say they’re easy and fun to make! It takes some time preparing the ingredients, so I like to do this while listening to songs.
Fresh spring rolls are versatile, as you can make it using whatever fillings you fancy or you have at hand. You can also use sliced fruits, nuts and seeds which I am keen to try!
There are no quantities given in this recipe and you can play around with it.
Ingredients for Fresh Spring Rolls
- 1 pack of rice paper
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1/4 purple cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1/3 cucumber
- Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- 1/4 C sweet chilli sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon/lime
Method for Fresh Spring Rolls
- Slice the purple cabbage, carrot and cucumber thinly using a knife or a mandolin. Cut the carrot and cucumber in thin strips.
- Rinse and dry the tofu block. Cut them into 4 pieces horizontally and pat dry.
- Pan fry the tofu until golden brown. Let it cool down. Cut each piece into 4 thin strips. So in total you will have 16 strips
- Prepare a bowl of warm water. Soak a piece of rice paper for 10 seconds.
- Lay the rice paper flat on a wooden board or a big plate.
- Starting from the end closest to you, place a small amount of cabbage about 2 cm from the end of the rice paper. Then lay down 2 mint leaves and coriander leaves above the cabbage.
- Place carrots and cucumber strips on top, end with tofu strips.
- Carefully lift the bottom of the rice paper and fold it up.
- Continue with both sides. Then roll the spring roll.
- Place on a baking paper. Separate each with a small piece of baking paper in between.
- To make sauce, grate the ginger. Mix it with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, thin down with a bit of water
- Enjoy! It’s best eaten on the day
Written by Lismi Wong
The post Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe appeared first on Usana Health Sciences Organization.