Occupational Performance is defined as the individual’s ability to accomplish the tasks required by his or her role and related to his or her developmental stage. Occupational performance includes self-care, work, and play or leisure time performance. This leads us to what Occupational Therapy is: a profession that helps people across the lifespan to do the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of daily activities (occupations). Occupational therapy practitioners enable people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health, and prevent—or live better with—injury, illness, or disability.
Common occupational therapy interventions include helping children with disabilities to participate fully in school and social situations, helping people recovering from injury to regain skills, and providing supports for older adults experiencing physical and cognitive changes. Occupational therapy services typically include:
- + an individualized evaluation, during which the client/family and occupational therapist determine the person’s goals,
- + customized intervention to improve the person’s ability to perform daily activities and reach the goals, and
- + an outcomes evaluation to ensure that the goals are being met and/or make changes to the intervention plan.
Occupational therapy practitioners have a holistic perspective, in which the focus is on adapting the environment and/or task to fit the person, and the person is an integral part of the therapy team. It is an evidence-based practice deeply rooted in science.
The profession of Occupational Therapy makes valuable contributions in helping people “Live Life to Its Fullest” despite their condition or surrounding environment.
Occupational therapy services typically include:
- Customized treatment programs to improve one’s ability to perform daily activities
- Comprehensive home and job site evaluations with adaptation recommendations
- Performance skills assessments and treatment
- Adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training
- Guidance to family members and caregivers.
We encourage you to view our video from The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) describing how Occupational Therapy helps people of every age, every day.