Determined to engage people in something beyond a swipe, Co-Founder Melanie Goldsmith set up a dating night in East London that encouraged attendees to play, communicate and connect on a level that went beyond the screen of a mobile phonE – the Edible Cocktails were born.
Soon it became apparent that the Edible Cocktails were creating a buzz which lead to the creation of Smith & Sinclair. An army site, a few school kitchens and a couple of synagogues later to fulfill the order, lead to an approach from Harvey Nichols to create a consumer facing product.
11 Questions for Co Founder & CEO of Smith & Sinclair Melanie Goldsmith
Melanie has taken time out of her schedule to talk to AGENT about her Business, her goals and work life balance
1. Briefly tell us how you first got into business, and describe your business goals.
2. What age were you when you realised you wanted to run your own business?
3. Who are your business icons and inspirations?
Anita Roddick, for taking on an industry with integrity and grit and Marcia Kilgore for her continuous skill in seeing a gap in the market and succeeding within it.
4. What has been your biggest challenge in business, and how did you surmount it?
It’s always hard to pick out one, there have obviously been a surmountable challenges but it continous to be the main two – recruitment & cashflow. We ensure we follow the moto hire slow, fire fast and are always reevaluating the best structure for the business and focus a lot on transparency, communication and fun to make sure the right people feel rewarded and included at all times. With cashflow, we’re building a scalability strategy to see us reduce the seasonality of our business in its current state.
5. Work-Life balance: is it possible? How do you achieve it?
6. What is the first thing you do every day?
7. What screen saver picture is currently on your phone?
8. What is the most important app on your mobile phone, and why?
9. What is the last thing you googled?
10. What item do you never leave the house without, and why?
11. What advice would you give to your younger self starting out in business?
It’s an uphill battle but I think we’re strong enough to survive, just keep your eyes and ears open at all times.
The post Q&A with Melanie Goldsmith Co Founder & CEO of Smith & Sinclair appeared first on Agent.