Get daily Current Affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis launched a web portal ‘Mahaswayam’ that will cater to job seekers, employers, entrepreneurs, and training institutes.
Previously launched Maharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS) portal, ‘Maharojgar‘ and ‘Mahaswayamrojgar‘ have now been merged into ‘Mahaswayam’.
2. The Haryana Cabinet approved the extension of Metro Rail from Narela in Delhi to Kundli in Sonepat district of Haryana.
The construction for the Narela-Kundli extension will start in April 2018 and will end by March 2022.
3. The Union Ministry of Women & Child Development (MWCD) clarified that the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme has no provision for individual cash transfer component.
Its focus is on issues of women empowerment on a life cycle scale. It is not a Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme.
4. The country’s First Automatic Coastal Warning for Disasters Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) will commission in Odisha from July.
Andhra Pradesh is also reportedly developing such system to alert the people in case of natural calamities.
5. The first Mega Food Park in the state of Odisha M/s MITS Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. at Rayagada has been inaugurated by Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Minister of Food Processing Industries.
The Park will leverage an additional investment of about Rs. 250 crores in 25-30 food processing units in the park and generate a turnover of about Rs. 450-500 Crore annually.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and Pakistan’s added as full members to the Beijing-backed Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) that will be formalized at the political and security grouping’s summit in Astana, Kazakhstan.
The SCO granted full membership status to Pakistan and India during its Ufa summit held in Russia in 2015.
The Astana Summit will be held on 8th-9th June.
2. Iceland has been named the world’s most peaceful nation in the 2017 Global Peace Index Ranking.
New Zealand and Portugal have finished the top three, while Syria has been named the slightest peaceful.
The US has dropped 11 spots to rank 114, while India is positioned 137 out of 163.
Sports & Athletics:
1. India’s Manika Batra and Mouma Das becomes the first Indian pair to reach the quarterfinals of the World Table Tennis Championships held in Dusseldorf.
The next world TT championships will be held in Budapest in the year 2019.
The duo will now take on the No. 1 and 2 Chinese players, Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen in an upcoming match.
Awards & Recognition:
1. A 12-year-old Californian student, Ananya Vinay, won the 90th Scripps National Spelling Bee competition.
She is awarded the cash prize of $40, 000.
The competition was held in Washington’s Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center.
2. Raveena Tandon was honoured with the Best Critic Award by the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy.
She was awarded the role of an avenging mother in the film ‘Maatr’.
3. National Assessment and Accreditation Council, NAAC, has received Asia Pacific Quality Network Award 2017 for International Co-operation in Quality Assurance.
APQN Quality Award is among the most prestigious International Awards in quality assurance of higher education.
4. Nepali-Hindi film Ralang Road will represent India at the 52nd Karlovy Vary International Film Festival at Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic.
Ralang Road has been nominated for the Crystal Globe Award along with 11 other films from around the world.
5. BJP leader and Chandigarh MP Kirron Kher released the stamp on noted playwright and theatre director late Balwant Gargi.
Gargi was the founder-director of the Indian Theatre Department, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Books & Authors:
1. Beren and Luthien, a book by Lord of the Rings author John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (JRR Tolkien), was published 100 years after it was first conceived.
The book was published by HarperCollins on the 10th anniversary of the last Middle Earth book ‘The Children of Hurin’.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Bharti Airtel has stated that it has got approvals from the SEBI for the proposed scheme of merger with Telenor (India) Communications Private Ltd.
The merger will transfer all of Telenor India’s assets and customers and thus augmenting Airtel’s overall customer base and network.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Aleksandar Vucic has been sworn in as Serbia’s new president, promising to work for peace and stability in the war-weary Balkans while strengthening the country’s armed forces.
Vucic formally stepped down from his prime minister’s post and took over his new role after his win in April’s election.
2. Nirupama Rao appointed as the Public Policy Fellow at a top American think tank based in Washington.
She was the former Indian Ambassador to the United States.
3. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) has appointed Sanjiv Singh as the new chairman of the company with immediate effect.
He will be replacing B Ashok, who superannuated from the services of the company on 31st May.
4. Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara resigned from the post following the Congress leadership’s decision to continue with him as the party’s state unit chief ahead of the 2018 Assembly polls.
He is also the State Congress Committee chief.
5. Reserve Bank of India appointed S. Ganesh Kumar as Executive Director.
He will look after Department of Information Technology, Department of Payment and Settlement Systems and Department of External Investments and Operations.
His appointment is consequent upon voluntary retirement of Chandan Sinha.
6. Citi Bank announced the appointment of Shinjini Kumar as Consumer Business Manager, Global Consumer Banking, India, effective 24th June.
She succeeds Kartik Kaushik, who was appointed Global Consumer Head of Credit Initiation, Core Operations and Branch Operations based in the US.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Russia have inked 5 pacts during the visit of Prime Minister Modi to Russia. The agreements signed are mentioned below.
Agreement on cultural exchanges.
Agreement for the construction of the third stage of the Kudankulam NPP (KK5 & KK6) along with the Credit Protocol.
Agreement between the Federal Service for Intellectual Property (Rospatent) and the Council of India for Scientific and Industrial Research.
Contract between JSC (Russian Railways) and the Ministry of Railways on the preparation of the justification for the implementation of the high-speed service at the Nagpur-Secunderabad section.
Memorandum of cooperation between ALROSA Joint Stock Company and the Council for the Promotion of the Export of Precious Stones and Jewellery of India.
Science & Technology:
1. India successfully test-fired Prithvi-II ballistic missile of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha’s Balasore.
It has a strike range of 350 km, capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and is thrust by liquid propulsion twin engines.
2. Defence Minister Arun Jaitley announced the second Scorpene-class submarine, INS Khanderi is ready for surface sea trial.
It has been built at Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
3. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in the U.S. detected merger of two black holes.
The third Hole named GW170104 marks the detection of gravitational waves coming from a binary black hole merger.
4. Japan launched a satellite to help build a high-precision geolocation system that will complement the US operated Global Positioning System (GPS).
The rocket carrying the Michibiki No. 2 satellite, H-IIA, was launched from the Tanegashima space center in Kagoshima Prefecture, Southern Japan.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Follow us on Facebook and YouTube. Also, comment your views.
Image Courtesy: Google Images
This post first appeared on IBPS PO 2015 Exam Syllabus & Question Paper Patter, please read the originial post: here