Daily Current Affairs of 12th July 2019
International Current Affairs
- The US lawmakers today passed a bill aimed at lifting the present 7 per cent country-cap on issuing Green Cards.
- This movie would benefit thousands of highly-skilled Indian IT professionals.
- This law would considerably shorten the agonising wait of talented professionals from countries like India who have applied for permanent residency in the United States.
- Note : A Green Card allows a person to live and work permanently in the US.
National Current Affairs
- India lifted 27.1 crore people out of poverty between 2006 and 2016, the UN Development Programme said in its 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index report.
- Among the four poorest states— Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh — Jharkhand made the most progress.
- Tto stop selling of unauthorised Packaged Drinking Water (PDW), the Railway Protection Force (RPF) recently launched ‘Operation Thirst.
- It was launched by Railway Protection Force (RPF) as an all India drive to crackdown selling of unauthorised Packaged Drinking Water (PDW) in Delhi.
- During the operation, fines were imposed on those found guilty and many were arrested.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- India's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has decided to do away with charges on fund transfer using IMPS for internet banking and mobile banking customers from 1st August 2019.
- Note : SBI had waived off charges on NEFT and RTGS transactions through internet and mobile banking from July 1 after RBI decided to remove these charges.
- India's Retail inflation hit an 8-month high in June on higher food prices but stayed below the RBI's medium-term target of 4% for an eleventh straight month.
- Annual retail inflation in June was 3.18%, up from 3.05% the previous month.
- Food prices grew 2.17% during the month compared to 1.83% in May.
- Andhra Pradesh's Finance Minister Buggana Rajendranath Reddy has presented the budget worth Rs 2,27,974 crores in the legistlative assembly.
- Total Budget : Rs 2,27,974 crores
- Revenue deficit : Rs 1,778,52 crore
- Budget Estimation : 19.32 percent incresed
- Revenue Expenditure : Rs 1,80,475 crore
- Check complete highlights of AP Budget 2019 from HERE
- Kalyani Rafael Advanced Systems (KRAS) has bagged a $100 million order from Israel's Rafael Advanced Defense Systems for the supply of 1,000 Barak-8 MRSAM missile kits to the Indian Army and Air Force.
- KRAS is a joint venture between Baba Kalyani-led Bharat Forge and Rafael.
- The missile kits will be supplied to state-run Bharat Dynamics for further integration.
- Apple's top-end iPhones including XR and XS models, assembled in India by Foxconn's local unit, are likely to come to Indian stores next month.
- The Indian rupee, along with other Asian currencies, strengthened against the US dollar after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell signalled that the US central bank could soon cut interest rates.
- The rupee gained 12 paise to end at 68.45, an 11-month high.
- Kerala Government decided to form a Non-Resident Keralites Investment company with 74% stake to be held by expatriate (or expat) to channelize investments from overseas Keralites for major infrastructure development in the state.
- France has became the 1st major economy to impose a tax on digital giants, with parliament passing the legislation in defiance of a probe ordered by President Donald Trump that could trigger reprisal tariffs.
- The legislation, dubbed the GAFA tax (an acronym for Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon) aims at plugging a taxation gap that has seen some internet heavyweights paying next to nothing in countries where they make huge profits.
Science & Technology
- Japan’s Hayabusa2 probe has made a perfect touchdown on a distant asteroid named Ryugu, around 300 million kilometres from Earth.
- It collected samples from beneath surface in an unprecedented mission that could shed light on origins of solar system.
- Anshula Kant, managing director of the State Bank Of India (SBI) has been appointed as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the World Bank.
- As an MD & CFO, she will be responsible for financial and risk management of the World Bank Group, reporting to the President.
- India's current High Commissioner to Canada Vikas Swarup has been appointed as Secretary in the Consular, Passport, Visa and Overseas Indian Affairs division, with effect from August 1.
- The 1986-batch IFS officer replaces Sanjiv Arora, who was appointed to the post earlier this year.
Awards & Honors
- Indian men’s football team captain Sunil Chhetri and women’s footballer Ashalata Devi have bagged top honours at All India Football Federation (AIFF) 2018-19 Awards.
- Chhetri was named as Men’s footballer of the year, while Ashalata Devi won the Women’s footballer of the year title.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) 2018-19 Awards
- AIFF Emerging Men’s Footballer of Year 2018-19 : Sahal Abdul Samad (from Kerala)
- AIFF Emerging Women’s Footballer of Year 2018-19 : Dangmei Grace (from Manipur)
- AIFF Award for Best Referee : R Venkatesh (from Tamil Nadu)
- AIFF Award for the Best Assistant Referee : Joseph Tony (from Karnatak)a
- Best Grassroots Development Programme : Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Football Association
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian weightlifter Ajay Singh has registered a new Commonwealth record in the clean and jerk category on his way to a Gold medal at the Commonwealth Championships in Apia today.
- The 22-year-old, Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships bronze medallist, lifted 190kg while competing in the 81kg category at the event.
- Cricketer Rashid Khan has been appointed as captain of Afghanistan across all formats, while Asghar Afghan, who was sacked as captain ahead of World Cup 2019, has been named as Rashid's deputy.
- Former England football team striker Peter Crouch has retired from football at the age of 38.
- Crouch had made his debut with QPR before going on to play for nine clubs, including Liverpool, Portsmouth, Tottenham and Stoke. Notably, Crouch holds the record for the most headed goals in the history of the English Premier League.
- Youth Olympics gold medallist Jeremy Lalrinnunga, competing in the 67 kg category broke 3 records on day three at the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships.
- The 16-year-old with a lift of 136 kg in the snatch category broke the Commonwealth record and his own Youth World and Asian Championships record (134 kg).
- Note : India won 7 medals on day three of the championships.
- Simona Halep became the 1st Romanian woman to reach Wimbledon final after defeating Ukraine's Elina Svitolina today.
- 3-time runners-up England defeated 5-time champions Australia by 8 wickets in the second 2019 World Cup semi-final to reach World Cup final for the 4th time and the 1st time since the 1992 edition.
- In the final, England will face New Zealand, who also haven't won the World Cup so far.
- Note : The final will take place at Lord's on Sunday.
Download PDF Version of 12th July 2019 Current Affairs from HERE
Download PDF Version of 11th July 2019 Current Affairs from HERE
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here
Download June 2019 Month's Current Affairs PDF File from HERE (New)