The September 14, 2019 LCBO VINTAGES Release is a mono-thematic Release that is also the annual focus on local wines. All of these wines will be on shelves across Ontario by this Saturday, and some are part of the VINTAGES Essentials collection that is always available year-round and can be found on shelves today.
The only theme of this Release is titled "Bring Local Home" and focuses on People, Places and Passion in the local Ontario wine scene. Wines from Niagara and its sub-appellations are featured, as well as wines from Georgian Bay and Lake Erie North Shore. Notably absent are any wines from Prince Edward County. Of the twenty wines featured as part of the theme, six are included among my top wine picks. Among the white wines, there is a lovely medium-sweet Riesling, as well as a rich, cool-climate Chardonnay. Among the red wines from Ontario, the majority are Bordeaux style blends. The Calamus is mostly Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon, while the Red Tractor is a blend of 45% Merlot, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Cabernet Franc, and the rest other varietals. Lastly, the Trius Red is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon. The fourth red from Ontario is a Cabernet Franc from a top vineyard within the Twenty Mile Bench sub-appellation along the Niagara Escarpment.
From my red wine picks, the Rhône red is a blend of Grenache and Syrah, while the Saint Chinian is a blend of mainly Syrah with Grenache, and some Mourvèdre. From Bordeaux, the Lalande consists of 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Malbec, while the Carignan Prima is actually 100% Merlot. Lastly, the Chianti Classico is a blend of 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot.
Among my white wine picks from the rest of the Release, all are actually single varietal wines. The Etna Bianco is made with the indigenous Carricante varietal from Sicily. Other highlights from my white wine recommendations include a lovely Chardonnay from Burgundy's Marchand-Tawse, while the Marsanne is always a delicious wine from Australia. For sweet wine lovers, the Riesling mentioned above should be at the top of your list, followed by the Pinot Gris from Alsace.
Enjoy my wine recommendations from this Release! Cheers!
- CALAMUS BALL'S FALLS RED 2017 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#010527) (XD) - $15.95 88 pts wine review
- MAS DES BRESSADES CUVÉE TRADITION 2017 - AP Costières de Nîmes, Rhône, France (#143099) (XD) - $16.95
- CREEKSIDE RED TRACTOR CABERNET/MERLOT 2017 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#011851) (XD) - $17.95 88 pts wine review
- CHÂTEAU HAUT-LALANDE 2015 - AC Côtes de Bordeaux – Blaye, France (#546069) (D) - $18.95 89 pts wine review
- CAZAL VIEL VIEILLES VIGNES SAINT CHINIAN 2016 - AC, Languedoc, France (#698985) (D) - $19.95 89 pts wine review
- TRIUS RED 2016 - VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#303800) (XD) - $24.95 90 pts wine review
- VOLPAIA CHIANTI CLASSICO 2016 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#953828) (XD) - $28.95 FE 90 pts wine review
- ICELLARS ESTATE CABERNET FRANC 2016 - Wismer Foxcroft Vineyard, VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#011681) (XD) - $29.95 91 pts wine review
- CHÂTEAU CARIGNAN PRIMA 2015 - AC Côtes de Bordeaux – Cadillac, France (#648931) (XD) - $33.95 91 pts wine review
- DOMAINE DROUHIN OREGON PINOT NOIR 2016 - Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA (#011263) (XD) - $37.95 91 pts wine review
- MASI SEREGO ALIGHIERI VAIO ARMARON AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2013 - DOCG, Veneto, Italy (#462812) (D) - $89.95
- CAVE DES VIGNERONS DE BUXY BUISSONNIER BOURGOGNE CHARDONNAY 2017 - AC, Burgundy, France (#010349) (XD) - $16.95 88+ pts wine review
- TAHBILK MARSANNE 2018 - Nagambie Lakes, Central Victoria, Australia (#117945) (XD) - $17.95 89 pts wine review
- PIERRE SPARR GRANDE RÉSERVE PINOT GRIS 2017 - AC Alsace, France (#983395) (D) - $18.95
- KONO SAUVIGNON BLANC 2018 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#441394) (XD) - $18.95
- PACO & LOLA ALBARIÑO 2018 - DO Rías Baixas, Spain (#350041) (XD) - $19.95
- FLAT ROCK CHARDONNAY 2017 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#286278) (XD) - $19.95 89 pts wine review
- TORNATORE ETNA BIANCO 2018 - DOC, Sicily, Italy (#577676) (XD) - $24.95
- TAWSE QUARRY ROAD ORGANIC RIESLING 2017 - VQA Vinemount Ridge, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada (#198853) (M) - $24.95 91 pts wine review
- SPY VALLEY ENVOY SAUVIGNON BLANC 2015 - Johnson Vineyard, Waihopai Valley, Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#429308) (XD) - $29.95
- MARCHAND-TAWSE VIRÉ-CLESSÉ 2016 - AC, Burgundy, France (#648576) (XD) - $31.95 91 pts wine review
- FAMILLE PERRIN TAVEL 2018 - AC, Rhône, France (#680801) (XD) - $19.95
This post first appeared on LCBO VINTAGES Wine Picks | LCBO Wine Reviews | LCBO Wine Picks, please read the originial post: here