There’s no doubt about it: travel can be Romantic.
So, at this time of year when love is in the air, here’s some of our favourite romantic destinations:
1.Venice, Italy – if romance has an ideal backdrop, this is it. Venice seems to emit a romantic energy. No wonder it is known as the City of Honeymoons.
2. Crete, Greece – what a wonderful island. Rugged scenery, friendly people, wonderful food and an amazing culture.
3. Lattari Mountain villages, Campania, Italy – within sight of the Amalfi coastline, yet a land lost in time. These villages spell out romance with a capital ‘R’.
4. Schafberg Mountain, Austria – rising up from the waters of the Wolfgangsee, this mountain takes you to a land above the clouds. In season, catch the Schafbergbahn train to the top and behold the Hotel Schafbergspitze on its snowy peak.
5. El Maresme costa, Catalonia – Barcelona and the coast to its north are as romantic as anyone could wish
6. The Gower, southern Wales – a misty and mystic wonderland of green lowlands, rocky peaks, beaches, ancient castles and standing stones, the Gower is good for the soul.
7. Lake Bled, Slovenia – commonly described as one of the most beautiful places on earth, Bled has all the ingredients for a romantic stay. Simply stunning!!
8. Florence, Italy – “To see the sun sink down, drowned on his pink and purple and golden floods, and overwhelm Florence with tides of color that make all the sharp lines dim and faint and turn the solid city to a city of dreams, is a sight to stir the coldest nature.” – Mark Twain
9. Athens, Greece – the ancient wonders of this captivating city are matched by the warmth of its people, the superb food and the excitement of the bubbling metropolis.
10. Rome, Italy – the Eternal City spells romance and excitement at every turn.
11. Niagara Falls, USA – another honeymoon favourite for a reason. There’s something about Mother Nature at her grandest.
12. London, United Kingdom – the ‘Capital of Capitals’ has an appeal that must be experienced to be fully understood. We defy anyone to step off the plane at Heathrow and not feel immediately that the city is special indeed.
13. Prague, Czech Republic – a cobblestone wonder that is as romantic as you will find anywhere.
14. The Isle of Capri, Italy – every visit to this emerald island will feel like falling in love.
15. Utah’s national parks – The Coyote Buttes – and who didn’t love cowboy movies?
16. Scotland, United Kingdom – a rugged landscape, where the air is crisp and the whiskey is smooth.
17. Paris, France – a perennial favourite with lovers, lose yourself in the boulevards and architecture (but watch the drivers)
18. Copenhagen, Denmark – the dock of the bay at Nyhaven, one of the many charming highlights of this elegant and friendly city.
19. The Dolomites, Italy – this limestone mountain range in north-eastern Italy is a favourite with the ski crowd, but its beautiful, rugged landscape is dotted with romantic cabins where solitude comes free of charge.
20. The North Coast of Cornwall, United Kingdom – scenery to die for.