Kosha Mangsho is a spicy and delicious Mutton curry from Bengal. It is one of the most popular recipes in Bengali cuisine and is known for its great flavour and taste. Here I am sharing the recipe of Kosha Mangsho that can be cooked at home in a pressure cooker.
250 gms mutton cut into pieces
2 tbsp mustard oil
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion finely chopped
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup thick curd
- Heat mustard oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter.
- Then add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon along with onions and saute till the onions turn soft.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes.
- Add red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the mutton pieces and stir well with the masalas.
- Next add curd and gently mix.
- Now add 1 cup water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes or 4 whistles.
- Check whether the mutton is cooked and soft. Pressure cook for some more time if not.
- Remove the lid of the cooker and cook the gravy in a low flame while stirring for about 5 minutes till most of the water has evaporated and you get a nice thick gravy.
- Transfer the gravy to a bowl, and garnish with coriander leaves and cumin seeds. Serve hot with poori made with maida.