Don’t let summer have all the fun! It might be fall, but that doesn’t mean you need to ditch the Ice Cream. These Orange Molasses Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are perfect for this time of year!
Orange Molasses Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
The only reason I’d ever leave sunny California is to experience a crisp autumn morning again on the east coast. I miss waking up, throwing on a sweatshirt, and walking through fallen leaves with a large cup of pumpkin spiced latte in my hand. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. Instead of crisp fall mornings, I’ve been dealing with warm weather here in San Francisco!
I decided to make the best of this fall heatwave by sandwiching vanilla ice cream with homemade orange molasses cookies! These Orange Molasses Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches will make your house smell like the fall! All the warm spices and the molasses are just so comforting. The recipe for the cookies is an adaptation of my coconut ginger molasses cookies.
When you first see the recipe, you might think to yourself that 1/4 cup of orange zest seems like a lot and it is. I tried making it with just two tablespoons of zest. The molasses flavor was so strong that it pretty much wiped out the orange flavor and all you are left with is a hint of orange at the end. In my second batch, I doubled it and it was just the perfect amount of orange!
The citrus really brightens up this Orange Molasses Cookie. Spices like ginger and clove really work well with any type of citrus. Warm spices also work exceptionally well with vanilla ice cream. So good!
The Orange Molasses Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches I made are quite small, about three to four bites. So it’s the perfect treat, especially during a hot, fall day. Give them a try!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cardamom ice cream (or vanilla)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until nice and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, molasses, orange zest, and orange juice; mix well.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 3 additions and mix well in between.
- Freeze the dough for 20 minutes.
- Scoop or hand roll cookie dough into 1.5 inch balls (1 tbsp) and place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet 1-2 inches apart. These cookies will spread so be sure to have some space between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until slightly brown on the edges.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, soften the ice cream by leaving it out on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of softened ice cream onto half of the cookies. Top with the other half of the cookies to make little ice cream sandwiches.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches on a baking tray and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Serve right away.
Home Chef Tip: To store the cookies for the next time you're having a craving, just wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and keep in freezer!
We hope you love these Orange Molasses Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches from SoFabFood Home Chef, Hetal from Milk & Cardamom, as much as we do. If you enjoyed these indulgent mini bites, be sure to visit our Dessert section for more sweet treats. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!