Koeksisters / Sweets recipes
Koeksisters is a very popular and common sweet or snack in South Africa. They even prepare this sweet for breakfast. Traditional koeksisters is made of Maida Dough which is braided, deep-fried and soaked in cold Sugar Syrup. Sweet treats are everyone's favorite. Neyyvada and Paal cake are my family's all time favorite tea time snack or sweet recipe. This sweet tastes almost the same though the sugar syrup and the dough is slightly different. Most of the fried sweets recipes tastes heavenly good and this sweet is one among the same. A must try sweet recipe for all those sweet lovers. So here is the recipe for koeksisters or African sweet.
Paal cake recipe
For the syrup
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Water - 1 cup
Cinnamon stick - a small piece
Ginger slices - few
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
For the dough
All purpose flour/ maida - 1.5 cups
Cornflour - half a cup
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Salt - quarter tsp
Butter - 50 g
Egg - 1
Milk - half a cup
Watch the video Koeksisters recipe
- Prepare the sugar syrup by boiling all those ingredients listed above in a pan for 8 minutes over a medium flame.
- Strain it to a bowl and refrigerate it until it cools completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the dough. Sieve together maida, baking powder and cornflour to a large bowl.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the softened butter and combine it well with the flour. To this add egg and combine again.
- Finally add the milk little by little and form a dough.
- The dough must be Kneaded very well .
- Cover it and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Once done, divide it into medium sized balls and again divide each balls into 3 equal strands.
- Cover the remaining dough.
- Roll out the small strands into long cylindrical shape.
- Place 3 rolls close to each other and tightly pinch to seal the one end.
- Then place the left strand over the middle strand, right strand over the left like so cross it over same like braided bread.
- For more idea, kindly watch the video showing How to make koeksisters
- Heat a pan with oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, make the flame to medium and drop the koeksisters to this oil. Fry until both sides turn golden .
- Drain it to a paper towel and then immediately dip it in the cool sugar syrup for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer it to a plate. Repeat the same.
- Yummy melt in mouth sweet is ready.
This post first appeared on Easy Dessert And Vegetarian Recipes | Fish Recipes - AYESHA'S KITCHEN, please read the originial post: here