Oven Baked Sticky Chinese chicken recipe. Chicken drumsticks with soy sauce, honey, and vegetables cooked in an oven. Very delicious Asian recipe.
Makes 12 servings
Oven Baked Sticky Chinese Chicken Recipe
Makes 12 servings
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) vegetable oil
- 12 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 4 green onions sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) clear honey
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold water
- Preheat an oven to 400F (200C)
- Place cornstarch in a medium bowl. Coat the chicken in the cornstarch, then season it with a salt and pepper.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil over medium heat. Add seasoned chicken drumsticks and brown on all sides. Remove browned chicken the pan and transfer to a baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: in the same pan you brown the chicken in. Pour the remaining vegetable oil into the pan. Add the green onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute, stirring for about a minute just to soften and release the flavors.
- Reduce heat to low and add the honey, dark and light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and black pepper. Stir well. Slowly add the water and stir to combine. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and bring soy sauce mixture to a boil to thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat and set aside.
- After the chicken bakes for 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and pour the sauce over the chicken, coating thoroughly.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake for further 15 minutes, turning the chicken and cover with sauce again if needed halfway through.
- Bake until chicken drumsticks are cooked through.
- Remove baked Sticky Chinese Chicken from the oven and transfer to serving plates. Serve and enjoy.